VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Clam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiya all,

hows ya doing?

I'm trying to get the "lost files of sherlock holmes 2" (how long is that title?) working under win2k. And was wondering if anyone can give me some help with it.

My current problem is I get the error :

--
Error: Could not set graphics mode.
Make sure you have a VESA compatible driver loaded.
--

Now, I know in the past you needed univbe, but I cant find the bugger anywhere...

Anyone know of a vesa driver I can use on an nvidia geforce 4? Or at least a dos wrapper for it?

Thanks buds.

Less importantly (Im sure this one has been answered millions of times before, so just tell me to read down the list if necessary), anyone got any idea how to set/get the irq/dma settings on a soundblaster card in win2k so that dos recognises it?

Thanks again...

Big hugs and kisses to anyone who can help.
😁 :p

Reply 1 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Clam wrote:

Anyone know of a vesa driver I can use on an nvidia geforce 4? Or at least a dos wrapper for it?

http://www.scitechsoft.com/support/support_home.html
The "Display Doctor" is about the only real option you have outside a dual-boot. Mixed results for a lot of people and a few horror stories as well.
Personally, I recommend the Dual-boot with DOS or Windows 9x.

Clam wrote:

Less importantly (Im sure this one has been answered millions of times before, so just tell me to read down the list if necessary), anyone got any idea how to set/get the irq/dma settings on a soundblaster card in win2k so that dos recognises it?

Amazing you haven't realized this yet...DOS is GONE. There is no DOS in Win2k. You have a command line that acts like DOS, but it's not DOS.
Consequently, you have no DOS audio support...at all. VDMSound is your only real hope.

Download it, it's update and it's GUI Launcher.

Get main program here in the files section.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/

Get the update and GUI Launcher v1.0.0.7 here:
http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/files/

Install the main program 1st. Copy the update files on top of your installed ones. Then install the GUI Launcher.

Reply 2 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VDMSound rocks. It also has an option to "enable VESA" which opens the game fullscreen automajickally. Should work fine.

Now, is the Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes 2 the Case of the Rose Tattoo? If it is, I can test it. If it's something else, I don't have it. 😀

And again, (how many times have I reiterated this?) Follow proper posting guidelines!

Oh, and, two things.

1. DON'T EVER USE DISPLAY DOCTOR. EVER.
  2. UNIVBE SUCKS.

😁

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 13, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Too bad that long thread regarding one of the "Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes" games disappeared off of the old VDMSound forum. Nicht, remember any of that?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

VDMSound rocks. It also has an option to "enable VESA" which opens the game fullscreen automajickally.

But unless the OS natively supports that VESA mode, you're still out of luck. I was under the impression that Win2k had even fewer VESA modes than XP. Hrmmm...

Now, is the Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes 2 the Case of the Rose Tattoo? If it is, I can test it.

It is. There were only two volumes. 1-The Case of the Serrated Scapel and 2 - The Case of the Rose Tattoo (Volume 1 was also VGA only).

And again, (how many times have I reiterated this?)

Somewhere between 1 and 1 Billion. Closer to the latter, I believe.

[1]DON'T EVER USE DISPLAY DOCTOR. EVER.

Unless you're a crazy XP user with 2GHz processor who just _has_ have his "Shadow Warrior" running at 1024x768.

[2] UNIVBE SUCKS.

I sense hostility.

Reply 5 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Too bad that long thread regarding one of the "Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes" games disappeared off of the old VDMSound forum. Nicht, remember any of that?

Yes I remember it. Unfortunately:
1) It was Volume 1 "The Case of the Serrated Scapel" (This is volume 2)
2) It was mostly a specific problem on his machine. It worked fine on mine.

Reply 10 of 13, by Clam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤣..

okay.. will play with it some more...

did you run the installer (to setup sound?)

and what else did you use? Just VDMSound?!?

(sorry for the quezzies.. dont hate me 'cause im stoopid)

Last edited by Clam on 2002-08-08, 11:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm currently testing it. It runs fine but for some unknown reason it kicks me back to desktop when I access some inventory objects, like showing something to someone (in Mycroft's flat for instance, showing certain inventory items to the man at the door). I've tried looking for a patch on EA page and Mythos but I couldn't find any.
Help.