VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by UltraBreytenBreytenbach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I asked the following question already in a forum of a magazine, but despite some answers have not yet been 100% sure about it. This is just out of pure interest:

Does anyone know a DOS-only game, that required a 3dfx-card and had no software mode? So, a game that had no WIndows version and no support for Direct3D and OpenGL, but for Glide, and did not start without a 3dfx-card? (I repeated my queston in a different way because apparently my question was so special some guys did not see how strict the premises were).

I know of these variants:
1. A DOS only game that supported 3dfx, but had also a software mode, or at least support of Direct3D
2. A game that required a 3dfx card (Pandemonium 2, Gex 3D etc.), but ran on Windows 95, not DOS

As far as I can see there has not been a game puiblished that was a DOS-only game with not software mode and 3dfx-only hardware accelaration. Am I right? I saw a list in this forum with DOS games that supported 3dfx cards, but none of them "forcibly", at least the ones I checked, and that were most of them.

Any clarification of the facts would be highly appreciated!

Regards

UltraBreytenBreytenbach

Reply 2 of 8, by UltraBreytenBreytenbach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this is actually a good idea, I will do that. Thx. By the way, Wikiepdia says it had indeed a software mode, so, if it is true, 3dfx was not required in this game.

Reply 3 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, your probably right. I only have the demo nowadays and I think the demo only supports 3DFX.

It would be pretty stupid for a dev to make a game 3DFX only without a software mode but I guess it could happen.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 8, by UltraBreytenBreytenbach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well in Windows they did (the developers of Pandemonium 2 and Gex 3D were apparently persuaded that 3dfx would have ruled the world in a short time anyway), but for a DOS-only game it would seem even more bizarre. It's just that it would be a very unusual case, and I would like to know if it happened at least once, but it's just a fancy...

Regards

UBB

Reply 5 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did you check that gamelist in the pc or milliways section ? (there is something about glide games overthere

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 8, by ipggi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually there were. I remember the first ever 3D graphics card I bought was Diamond Monster 3D 3DFX Voodoo1. The retail version came with a multi-disc folder sleeve with drivers and a collection of 3D games.

MechWarrior 2, Hyperblade, VR Soccer, Whiplash, EF2000, Descent II, and a demo of Tomb Raider.

I am pretty sure either Hyperblade Whiplash was 3DFX only.

Reply 8 of 8, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Redguard runs very well in DOSBOX actually in software mode. Even at 640x480. It took some effort to set it up (it installs in Windows) but once you got the installation folder & sound set up, it's clean sailing.