VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Knowno

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.

My settings are

VDMsound version: 2.0.4 whit the update installed.
VDMsound launchpad installed
Windows xp pro

Harware

Asus p4t-e i850 motherboard
Pentium 4 2000 hz
512 mb Rambus memory
3d-card Leadtek geforce4 TI 4400 whit 128mb ram(type unknown)
Soundcard: Creative live 5.1 soundblaster.

I have a problem whit the game "Guilty" it's a point andclick game.
It starts up very wel, sound/graphics/gamespeed are good.
But after 2 minutes the game crashes and says that there is not enough BASE MEMORY available.
My question is : How can i free more base memory?

Many thanks in advance.

😕

Last edited by Knowno on 2003-05-04, 11:43. Edited 1 time in total.

😀

Reply 2 of 9, by Knowno

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It always crashes at the same point.
You have to choose between two caracters.
When you choose the girl the game crashes, but when you choose the man the game doesn't crash and you find yourself trapped in a cell.
From there you can play a little part (escape from cell and walk around for a wile) but when you walk through a speciffic door the
game crashes also.
I think at both points a cartoon starts playing and the game needs more memory then during normal play.

PS: In the POST SUBJECT LINE i typed it's about Innocent untill caught but it's not It's about GUILTY,the follow-up of Innocent untill caught.

😀

Reply 3 of 9, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try this, create a file named GO.BAT and edit it to contain the single command MEM /C, the run it with VDMSound (right-click and choose Run with VDMS), it should report something like the following:
Conventional Memory :

Name Size in Decimal Size in Hex
------------- --------------------- -------------
MSDOS 13184 ( 12.9K) 3380
KBD 3296 ( 3.2K) CE0
EMM 176 ( 0.2K) B0
HIMEM 1248 ( 1.2K) 4E0
COMMAND 3152 ( 3.1K) C50
FREE 112 ( 0.1K) 70
FREE 633984 (619.1K) 9AC80

Total FREE : 634096 (619.2K)

Upper Memory :

Name Size in Decimal Size in Hex
------------- --------------------- -------------
SYSTEM 180208 (176.0K) 2BFF0
MOUSE 12528 ( 12.2K) 30F0
DOSX 34720 ( 33.9K) 87A0
FREE 256 ( 0.3K) 100
FREE 34336 ( 33.5K) 8620

Total FREE : 34592 ( 33.8K)

Total bytes available to programs (Conventional+Upper) : 668688 (653.0K)
Largest executable program size : 633712 (618.9K)
Largest available upper memory block : 34336 ( 33.5K)

4194304 bytes total EMS memory
4194304 bytes free EMS memory

20971520 bytes total contiguous extended memory
0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
16628736 bytes available XMS memory
MS-DOS resident in High Memory Area

(thanks to Nicht)

There are three ways you can get more memory:

1) Disable CD-ROM support
2) Disable DPMI support
3) Disable EMS or XMS

If the game needs all three of the above then you are hosed.
(thanks to Vlad)

Reply 4 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Knowno It starts up very wel, sound/graphics/gamespeed are good.
But after 2 minutes the game crashes and says that there is not enough BASE MEMORY available.

What bugs me is that it starts up...if you didn't have enough conventional memory, it shouldn't have started at all.

If it starts, then fails at a later time, that brings up other possibilities (none of them good):
1) You actually had enough conventional memory, but it was just barely enough...a "borderline" issue.
2) The game has a "memory leak" like "System Shock"...That would be very bad.
3) If the game is a "ripped" version, something might have broken during the "ripping" process.
4) Some other mysterious bug...

Update: Apparently it needs 613K of conventional memory...OW.

If all else fails, try DosBox.

Reply 5 of 9, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

613K? Where's QEMM when you need it? That was a great program back in the DOS days, once you learned how to use it. Too bad it's absolutely useless under NT/2K/XP. It may have been possible to use it while booting in pure DOS mode, i.e., DOS 7.0 that came with Win95, but I never tried that.

Reply 6 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by edelbeb 613K? Where's QEMM when you need it?

Don't let the Admin hear you say that...*heh* Having said that, XP should give you plenty of memory for the NTVDM.

It may have been possible to use it while booting in pure DOS mode, i.e., DOS 7.0 that came with Win95, but I never tried that.

QEMM 8 worked fine with first release of Windows 95, completely broke on Windows 95B. QEMM97 was the last release. It worked fine in the "true DOS" mode, but was nearly useless in Windows and (more often than not) caused memory problems instead of fixing them.

For DOS games in "real" DOS however, it was a handy tool.

Reply 7 of 9, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used QEMM up to version 7.5 (I vaguely recall that it was the last version released before Win95). I didn't bother with later versions, since I was using Win95 and no longer booting up in DOS. With most driver intense (requiring CDROM, mouse, and sound card) DOS games using DOS extenders and having a low base memory requirement, and with Win95's pifs allowing you to reboot into a pure DOS environment and load only the drivers needed for the game at hand, QEMM seemed like overkill (MSDOS's multiboot could do the same -- however in my pre-Win95 games I booted in DOS mode and preferred to boot into one configuration and stay with that. QEMM allowed me to do that). Also, with the advent of Win95 and cheaper hard drives, Stacker was off my computer, and the need to load huge DOS drivers dropped significantly.

I remember Quarterdeck's claims that later versions of QEMM benefitted Win95. By then, my experiences with their MagnaRAM 2.0 program under Win3.1 had taught me to be skeptical about Quarterdeck's claims.

Reply 8 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by edelbeb I used QEMM up to version 7.5 (I vaguely recall that it was the last version released before Win95).

Correct. v8 was the first Win95 version.

I didn't bother with later versions, since I was using Win95 and no longer booting up in DOS. With most driver intense (requiring CDROM, mouse, and sound card) DOS games using DOS extenders and having a low base memory requirement, and with Win95's pifs allowing you to reboot into a pure DOS environment and load only the drivers needed for the game at hand, QEMM seemed like overkill

Then you were fortunate enough to have a hardware/software combo that allowed you to run what you wanted. That was rarely true for me.

By the time I loaded my mouse, SCSI, and memory drivers, I was usually down to about 510K of conventional memory. Even after I was able to get memmaker running in Win95, it wasn't enough. There were a number of titles that I simply could not get to run without QEMM. I never really used the Windows tools. My only concerns were conventional memory and EMS.

I remember Quarterdeck's claims that later versions of QEMM benefited Win95. By then, my experiences with their MagnaRAM 2.0 program under Win3.1 had taught me to be skeptical about Quarterdeck's claims.

Like I said, QEMM broke completely in Win95B. QEMM97 fixed that, but by then my hardware configuration was becoming more "tolerant", using less conventional memory.

I still use it from time-to-time, but only in DOS mode, and only on motherboards that can't use UMBPCI.