VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Aspie_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone managed to get sound blaster support working in this game?

I've tried running the 10 level demo (and the 6 level xmas one) but the sound blaster chip isn't detected.

With VDMSound 2.0.4 update 1 the game runs fine and the midi music works but not SFX.

In Dosbox 0.58 the game gets past the intro screen but then crashes dosbox at the main menu. (an error message is shown in the cmd.exe window behind the dosbox app, but it disapears too quick to read).

In Virtual PC 4.36 (with Windows 95 original as guest OS) the game loads and plays without issue, except again the soundblaster chip isn't detected by the game.

I've read that 3D Lemmings had problems autodetecting sound blaster cards and that I should configure the sound card to use standard SB settings (A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6) eg for a SB16. Which I attempted with vdms.ini, vdmsrun.bat and dosbox.conf, respectively.

It made no difference. If anyone has had some success with this I would like to hear from you. Thanks

System/Software Information:

ABIT KT7E
AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.1GHz
512Mb of Crucial PC-133 CAS 2 RAM
ABIT Siluro 3 Ti200 64Mb
Creative Sound Blaster 128 PCI (CT4700)
Windows XP Professional SP1
VDMSound 2.0.4 Update 1
Dosbox 0.58
Virtual PC 4.36 (Guest OS: Windows 95 4.00.950)
3D Lemmings 10 level demo, and 6 level winter demo
Ran game in both SVGA and standard resolution (video mode 1 & 2 also tested).

Reply 1 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

6-level winter demo? I haven't heard of that one. Could you tell me where you found it?

I had this happily running on an old DOS box a number of years ago. In fact, I still have the manual handy.

Have you tried running the Setup program? Also, do you have EMS enabled?

Reply 2 of 12, by Aspie_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried every combination the setup program pocesses... and yes I have EMS available under all emulators and XP dos prompt itself. That is not the problem.. it is how the game detects (or doesn't in my case) the sound blaster, apparently its a known issue but other people have been able to resolve it.

You find the winterdemo on the Lemmings Universe webpage (just pop it into a search engine).

Reply 3 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting. Thank you.

I gather there are no messages of interest when you start the game?

Apparently, you can adjust the size of the sound buffer with the "sn" switch (ex. "L3D s32), where n is a number from 0 to 64. Perhaps that is worth a try.

Reply 6 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Aspie_Boi Has anyone managed to get sound blaster support working in this game?

Typically,... my CD just disappeared.

I've tried running the 10 level demo (and the 6 level xmas one) but the sound blaster chip isn't detected.

Based on the demo, this is one of about a half-dozen titles where I can get SoundBlaster audio from XP's native emulation, but not VDMSound. Annoying, as XP's emulation is so poor.

The demo has no autodetect, so it must be set manually (although no IRQ or DMA numbers are needed). That meant that SETUP had to be run for "Native XP", even if it was already set for SoundBlaster (because it was still trying to use VDMSound's IRQ 7).

In Dosbox 0.58 the game gets past the intro screen but then crashes dosbox at the main menu.

The game uses Protected Mode...not supported yet.

I've read that 3D Lemmings had problems autodetecting sound blaster cards and that I should configure the sound card to use standard SB settings (A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6) eg for a SB16. Which I attempted with vdms.ini, vdmsrun.bat and dosbox.conf, respectively.

Well, in XP, you should avoid using IRQ 5 as that is what XP's native emulation is using. VDMSound normally uses IRQ 7. Despite what people say, there is no "standard" IRQ, there are two. 5 and 7. Some programs insist on 5, others demand 7.

ABIT Siluro 3 Ti200 64Mb Creative Sound Blaster 128 PCI (CT4700) Windows XP Professional SP1 Ran game in both SVGA and standard […]
Show full quote

ABIT Siluro 3 Ti200 64Mb
Creative Sound Blaster 128 PCI (CT4700)
Windows XP Professional SP1
Ran game in both SVGA and standard resolution (video mode 1 & 2 also tested).

A few notes:
The GF3 video card is a good one, but SVGA/VESA support in XP is poor. May have to use NOLFB.COM for some VESA titles. With others...you may be sunk.

The "Sound Blaster 128 PCI" doesn't seem to have a very good track record. That matters less on XP for compatibility, but some "demanding" titles will probably not perform all that well.

If I can find my CD, I'll test more of this out...

Reply 7 of 12, by drav22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I figured it out after months of messing with it. In the Launcher setup everthing as usal, now here's how I got it work in DOS Environment Tab in the AUTOEXEC.BAT section (aditional options) add this: SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 P330 T6

The reason is the L3D.EXE file looks for this in the autoexec.bat file so it can run the included drivers on the CD.

Quick addition: The Sound FX are choppy thru both VDMSound & XP Emulation. The MIDI wether set to Soundblaster or General MIDI dosn't play thru VDMSound but plays fine in the XP Emulation go figure.

Last edited by drav22 on 2003-06-21, 01:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 12, by Aspie_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thankyou to everyone who posted replies I got it working! 😁

Simply use the native XP sound blaster support and speedset to slow down the game to a reasonable speed (-85 here)

thanks once again

Reply 10 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by drav22 The Sound FX are choppy thru both VDMSound & XP Emulation. The MIDI wether set to Soundblaster or General MIDI dosn't play thru VDMSound but plays fine in the XP Emulation go figure.

*ech*
Better than nothing, but not an ideal solution.

Still looking for my CD.

Reply 11 of 12, by drav22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well some more playing around with it I found out if you set the music card to Roland LAPC-1 and VDMS config to the roland emulation it will play fine. The CDDA tracks were not playing but SAPUCDEX 1.0.5 fixed that 😀.

Another thing the game runs too fast on my PIII 933Mhz so I tried mo'slo it gave me an error about a mouse driver is missing, then I tried Speedset I tried different numbers, -85 like Aspie_Boi said but when it tries to load a level it crashes out, anything below that number the bomb icon dosen't work, I know you can just press the escape key to restart the level but that's no good for the later more frustrating levels. The solution to get out of the level is to keep playing until you complete it (uhg, try doing this when it real late and haven't slept in a long time) or pause the game and type RASPUTIN so you shoot the lemmings so they count as saved (a little cheat I found 😁 )

Reply 12 of 12, by HawkHunterGK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i know this is an old topic, but just wanted to say your "search" feature works great for troubleshooting... usually someone else has had the same problem kinda thing...

Ok I figured it out after months of messing with it. In the Launcher setup everthing as usal, now here's how I got it work in DOS Environment Tab in the AUTOEXEC.BAT section (aditional options) add this: SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 P330 T6

The reason is the L3D.EXE file looks for this in the autoexec.bat file so it can run the included drivers on the CD.

This works for lockups during the "setup" process too... I added this to my dosbox configuration file, and it detected my "soundblaster" just fine, and finally without lockup.

Anyone that was having problems with lemmings 3d being choppy - i fixed this by setting (on an amd athlon 3000+ 1.5gig RAM) frame skip to "0" and cpu throttling to around 19,000 and reserved 64mb for DOS environment... that uses about 88-100% cpu... the cameras want to scroll way too fast, but i went into options to tweek that (lower camera speed in options)- very playable DOSBox v 0.65