VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got me a voodoo 1...It actually ran Fatal racing in glide mode, and looks great:) (only kinda slow)

Now i would like to run it on a voodoo 2 cuz this card has great compatibility with older glide games...I've tried it using "set sst_ batch file:
set SST_GRXCLK=90
set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
set SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
set SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2
pause
fatfx

With this batch I can make it into the game (without it i can't) but every time it goes into glide, the screen goes black:( I can see the menu screens though...I can press escape when the screen goes blank, which obviously quits the race, and puts me back in the game menu

I think i only need to tweak some values, but i don't know which ones...Maybe some people have experience with these variables and might be able to help me out?

Reply 1 of 25, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think its going to work. I think Fatal Racing is staically linked with a Glide library that knows how to drive only Voodoo1. You need a version of the game that uses the Glide2x.ovl driver. If there was such a version, it could probably be used with Glidos.

Reply 2 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as I can tell, he's just running it with the native Glide drivers (presumably in Win9x...no OS is mentioned). GliDOS is not being used. Presuming that is true why did he post the question here? Logically, it should be in the DOS forum.

Also, I think "Fatal Racing/Whiplash" is one of the few "Voodoo 1 Only" titles.

Reply 3 of 25, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try adding these one at a time, until (or if) it starts working.
SET SST_SLIDETECT=0
SET FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=1
SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=60
SET SST_FASTMEM=1
SET SST_FASTPCIRD=1
SET SST_SWAP_EN_WAIT_ON_VSYNC=1

Here's some further (not necessarily trustworthy) information:
http://google.com/groups?selm=bvtgask3khor6u4 … o76vj%404ax.com

Paul, this fellow's not talking about Glidos, but DOS Glide. This post should really be in the DOS forum (moderator, please move.)

But yes, it is compiled statically with Glide, so it will be a long time until GLIDos can support it. But the Voodoo2 has a CHANCE of it working at least.

Reply 4 of 25, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

As far as I can tell, he's just running it with the native Glide drivers (presumably in Win9x...no OS is mentioned). GliDOS is not being used.

What I was trying to say is I don't think the game will work on a Voodoo 2 with the native drivers, because the game has drivers built in that don't understand Voodoo 2.

The mention of Glidos was just that, if the game did use drivers, then not only would the Voodoo 2 probably work; so would Glidos.

Reply 7 of 25, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game doesn't run on even a REAL Voodoo2, so I doubt Glidos will have any chance.

I tried it back when I brought it up with Paul, and had no success.

I even remember the disappointment the first few days I got my Voodoo2.

17. Whiplash * n/a n/a C

Taken from the old Voodoo2 Moody FAQ. n/a meaning it didn't work at any resolution.

I think, until Paul can get anything from a statically linked exe, then we are out of luck.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 8 of 25, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Then what was the USENET poster smoking, eh? That's what I want to know. What reason would this fellow have to lie? And he's not misremembering, as he claims he got it to work through a lot of trial and error.

It really sounds as if he had it working.

He still writes on USENET, I will try emailing him.

Reply 9 of 25, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So you are calling ME a liar now ?

A person who really WANTED this game to run, but despite everything from help to tweaks from websites, IT DIDN'T WORK !!

Remember the Moody V2 Games FAQ.

It stated that it didn't work, although it had a write up saying that some users spoke to a friend of a friend of a friend that seen it working. Then ended with what they thought was total BS.

And I agree, and until I see total PROOF of it working, and how exactly he got it working, then it's total Bull.
Do you see ?

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
2Gb RAM
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 10 of 25, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CraigG wrote:

So you are calling ME a liar now ?

no no noe! sorry... 🙁

A person who really WANTED this game to run, but despite everything from help to tweaks from websites, IT DIDN'T WORK !!

Remember the Moody V2 Games FAQ.

It stated that it didn't work, although it had a write up saying that some users spoke to a friend of a friend of a friend that seen it working. Then ended with what they thought was total BS.

okay.

And I agree, and until I see total PROOF of it working, and how exactly he got it working, then it's total Bull.
Do you see ?

yesy yes I see. Still, I can't find a reason for this USENET poster to BS. He seems to be a super-fan of the game... unless it was a troll to try to gain interest in someone taking a closer look into why it doesn't work on a V2 and what can be done.

It sounds as if he still has the V2 and the game, so I want to email him.

Reply 11 of 25, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, didn't mean to come across soo heavy like that.
Bad day.

But anyway, I would love this to work. Thats why I actually sent Paul the game, to see what he could do.
I even put in my old Diamond Monster 2 12Mb V2, and it just wouldn't work. Just locked up the dos session with a black screen.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
2Gb RAM
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 12 of 25, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe him...Actually I think there's a similair message on this board somewhere...Something about running a dosglide app before running whiplash, magenta glitches etc...Pretty much like this guy on usenet is talkin about...Don't think he is lying

Maybe the voodoo1 and 2 aren't so different then?

Reply 14 of 25, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The reason why I posted this here is because I was hoping for reply's from people how know a lot about glide and know how voodoo cards work...

The descent source is available though, maybe the guy who did the unsupported beta 3dfx descent2 exe could help me out:)

Reply 15 of 25, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
3803 wrote:

I believe him...Actually I think there's a similair message on this board somewhere...Something about running a dosglide app before running whiplash, magenta glitches etc...Pretty much like this guy on usenet is talkin about...Don't think he is lying

*falls over laughing*

IT"S the SAME GUY!!!

showthread.php?s=&threadid=1270

Unnnnnbelievable.

But if you don't believe me, follow this train of thought.
http://google.com/groups?selm=bvtgask3khor6u4 … o76vj%404ax.com
http://google.com/groups?selm=juus7t80bv3qq6t … u1fkc%404ax.com

*goes to private message him*

Reply 16 of 25, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GREAT NEWS, it actually works:D
First, I run descent2 (i have it as well)

This is what i did, i added the SET FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=1
at the beginning of the batch file....Otherwise, the screen is blank

actually the game ran faster than a with voodoo 1 even the core is set to 90:)

I encountered the magenta bug once myself, but i was having te blank screen again, so i could only see it was magenta because of the 3dfx logo, which is always shown

I ran out of space in mem and so the last 2 lines
set SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
set SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2
were not read...And the game stills work, so they aren't that important

Oh well...It works perfectly

😁

Reply 17 of 25, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BTW it really is the same guy

hint: 3 finger salute;)

Oh, seems like it runs as well without running d2

fx_glide_swapinterval is the magic line

Last edited by 3803 on 2003-05-24, 14:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 25, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No go here, Darn it.

I really thought you had something there.
Put my V2 in JUST to play this.

Still a black screen, still a hard lock (session only).

Perhaps this is a WinME thing, and only works in Win98.

I'll have a little play.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
2Gb RAM
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 19 of 25, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's really Falkentyne's suggestion. So thank him. 😀

Voodoo2 was very nearly 100% backwards compatible with the Voodoo Graphics (Moody's V2 FAQ does much to prove compatibility, although it isn't always out-of-the-box), so I thought it might work if you tried the right settings.

For the record, SET FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL swaps backbuffer/frontbuffer ASAP, 1 to swap on every one vsync (60 fps), 2 to swap every two vsyncs (30 fps). Setting to 0 disables swap on vsync.

Craig, wasn't Whiplash/Fatal Racing a DOS game? So shouldn't you try in TRUE DOS first? Anyhow, ditch WinMe as FAST as you can. Win98SE is much better if you must use a Win9x-based OS.