VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rykion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I appologize in advance, if I should not be posting more than one problem at a time. I have about six games I cannot get to work in XP.
Running the game Jurassic Park with DOSBOX in Windows XP. The game loads fine and the menu appears fine. As soon as I start a new game, almost immediately after the first Dino appears, DOSBOX crashes back to the desktop. Any ideas?
Probably no way to get this title to work in XP.

I have an AMD 2700+ with 756MB RAM on Windows XP Home SP1.
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and Audigy2 Sound card.
ASUS A7N8X Mobo.
Thank you.

Reply 2 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR Maybe you should post your problems with these six games in the same post...

Please...do NOT do this. Unless the games use the same "engine", it will likely cause the thread to become a mess as different people suggest different things for different games.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by rykion I appologize in advance, if I should not be posting more than one problem at a time.

It's not a problem, just be aware you may not get "instant answers" back.

Running the game Jurassic Park with DOSBOX in Windows XP.

Like ISHAR3, this OCEAN title was developed by people who were used to "bypassing the OS" (hitting the hardware).

The game loads fine and the menu appears fine. As soon as I start a new game, almost immediately after the first Dino appears, DOSBOX crashes back to the desktop. Any ideas?

It appears that they really hit the hardware. I think it may be pretty hard to run this on modern hardware. This locks up on VPC as well.

I know there were Amiga and game console versions, it may be worthwhile trying to emulate one of them.

Reply 3 of 4, by rykion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to find the Amiga version last night and got it working.
I appreciate your quick and detailed response as always!
The Amiga version is probably better anyway. Most games 1993 or earlier were almost always better on the Amiga!
I 'll just keep posting my questions slowly and separately.

Always seems more beneficial, to me at least, if you can include the game and error message in the title.

Reply 4 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by rykion The Amiga version is probably better anyway. Most games 1993 or earlier were almost always better on the Amiga!

I tend to think the same way. Having said that, I like to keep my opens for the best option. For example, Amiga people got ripped-off on their version of Ultima V. Delayed for ages and arrived with only one piece of music in the game. In reality, I believe it was just the Atari ST version with minimal modification to make it run on the Amiga. That would explain why the ST version was HD-installable and the Amiga version wasn't (except, of course, the ST version had the whole soundtrack).

I 'll just keep posting my questions slowly and separately.

*heh* You don't have to hold back on questions, just don't jumble them all together in the same post, and (like I said before) understand it may take some time for someone to post a response.