VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Problem summary = Roland SCC-1 does not cause any errors as such - it's just silent now I have inserted an AWE32.

3 ISA slots details =

Roland SCC-1 ~ IRQ=3, I/O=330. Works fine if AWE32 is not present, otherwise it's silent. (Occasionally it will emit very incorrect sounds.)

GUS Classic ~ IRQ=5 and also 5 for SB MIDI emulation (which I don't use), I/O=240, DMA=3 (playback) and 3 (recording). Works fine.

Creative AWE32 (CT2760, non-PnP) ~ IRQ=7, I/O=220, midi=300 (I opened the MSEL jumper to set this value to 300 to avoid
using 330 which would clash with the Roland SCC-1, but I don't think this MSEL 300 jumper setting is working correctly), 620 (awe effects), DMA=1 and 5. Works fine with all other soundcards, but I cannot get the Creative Diagnose utility to accept the midi address value of 300. It accepts 330 OK, even though the MSEL jumper is set to open (300 value).

Please note all 3 cards are non-PnP.

If I remove the AWE32, and replace it with a legacy SB16, *everything* works. (ie, I get the Roland SCC-1 working fine, and the SB16 also works fine too. Plus the GUS works as well!)

The legacy SB16 has the MSEL jumper set to open which means the midi address = 300 and not 330. The SB Diagnose utility accepts this 300 midi address value OK no problems. However, if I insert the AWE32 card back in the PC (with the MSEL jumper also set to open which means the midi address is 300 and not 330), and then run the Diagnose utility, Diagnose reports a problem and will not accept 300 as a valid midi address.

Summary: AWE32 seems to occupy midi address 330 even though its MSEL jumper is set to 300. This means that the scc-1 does not work.

Please someone help!! -- last week I posted a question, got 150 views, but no one replied.

Thanks VERY MUCH for any assistance, Best regards, Robert.

Reply 1 of 3, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About the AWE you first need to re-program the eprom with the port adress etc with the setcard program on the install disk..first close the eprom jumper on the card.

This might solve your probs

btw. why have you changed the default IRQ 2/9 settigs on the SCC-1?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 3, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Your suggestion worked very well. Using the awe32 ct2760 revision 3 setcard utility, I successfully changed the midi port address to 300. With this value now changed, the awe32 card no longer causes any major conflict with the scc-1 card.

However, one very minor problem with the scc-1 remains:

If I run the scc-1 check/demo program called chkscc, everything works very well. If I then run other DOS sound programs after running chkscc, such as the GUS playmidi.exe program and then also other DOS game sound setup programs (such as 3D Realms' Shadow Warrior sound setup program - useful because it allows you to test your settings); when I then go back to running scc-1 chkscc again for the second time, I get the following error message:

interrupt level is IRQ3 (which is fine)
service plural IRQ ! (which seems to be a problem)

At this moment in time, I am not allowed to enter the demo section of chkscc in order to play the 6 demo midi tunes. I have to then exit the chkscc program.

Finally, regarding my choice of IRQ for the scc-1, I think I had to change it from 2 to 3 because 2 would not function at all. I think it may be because I had another card in my system which used IRQ 2. Would you recommend that I change the scc-1 IRQ back to 2 and tried to get IRQ = 2 to function OK for the scc-1, or would it be ok for me to leave the IRQ set to 3 for the scc-1?

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for your assistance in helping me with the awe32 problem.

Best regards from Robert.

Reply 3 of 3, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
Thank you thank you thank you!!! […]
Show full quote

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Your suggestion worked very well. Using the awe32 ct2760 revision 3 setcard utility, I successfully changed the midi port address to 300. With this value now changed, the awe32 card no longer causes any major conflict with the scc-1 card.

However, one very minor problem with the scc-1 remains:

If I run the scc-1 check/demo program called chkscc, everything works very well. If I then run other DOS sound programs after running chkscc, such as the GUS playmidi.exe program and then also other DOS game sound setup programs (such as 3D Realms' Shadow Warrior sound setup program - useful because it allows you to test your settings); when I then go back to running scc-1 chkscc again for the second time, I get the following error message:

interrupt level is IRQ3 (which is fine)
service plural IRQ ! (which seems to be a problem)

At this moment in time, I am not allowed to enter the demo section of chkscc in order to play the 6 demo midi tunes. I have to then exit the chkscc program.

Finally, regarding my choice of IRQ for the scc-1, I think I had to change it from 2 to 3 because 2 would not function at all. I think it may be because I had another card in my system which used IRQ 2. Would you recommend that I change the scc-1 IRQ back to 2 and tried to get IRQ = 2 to function OK for the scc-1, or would it be ok for me to leave the IRQ set to 3 for the scc-1?

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for your assistance in helping me with the awe32 problem.

Best regards from Robert.

Glad it worked well, I actually fiddled with my AEW32 CT2760 recently so the solution was fresh in my mind 😀

I think the SCC-1 problem might be that IRQ is used by your COM2 port maybe
If you change it to default 2/9 which should work fine in any system if you're not using an expansion card which conflicts with this which is very unlikely

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327