VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SBlaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, the other day I found an old PC I had at my home, it has an SB AWE 64 Value, Pentium 3, and a lot of things. A friend of mine gave me an old Voodoo 3 he had at his home so I plugged it in inmediatly, only to find out that I had no driver disk!! Google in this case, wasn't my best friend, I found a lot of drivers out there, official and unofficial, but I want to know which is the best driver for dos games and some windows games (UT in 3Dfx mode, 😈 ), I would love to play Tomb Raider again using a real 3Dfx video card. See you later.

P.D.: My english sucks, I'm from argentina, and here we speak spanish.

Reply 1 of 15, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No necesitas drivers para DOS. La tarjeta es VESA 3.0, así que no tendrás problemas de compatibilidad en DOS puro.

En Windows, yo recuerdo que los "oficiales" pararon en la versión 1.05 o algo así, aunque también estaban los Omega drivers que se supone funcionaban mejor. La tarjeta es basurilla en DirectX, hasta el punto de que el GTA III ni arrancaba.

Para ejecutar juegos GLIDE, tendrás que hacerlos funcionar desde Windows y copiar los ficheros de tu tarjeta sobre los del juego (si mal no recuerdo, GLIDE2X.OVL y GLIDE2X.DLL).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 15, by SBlaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't want the voodoo 3 for Direct3d (I leave that to the 8800), but for Glide support, and also, If i install tomb raider and it's patch on pure DOS, will it work? I'm going to test the drivers probably today or tomorrow, it all depends on my mood, See you later.

La tarjeta no la quiero para soporte Direct3D (para eso tengo la 8800), sino para glide, tambien pregunto, si en dos puro yo pongo el tomb raider y su parche glide, funciona? Voy probar los omega hoy o mañana todo depende de mi animo. Saludos.

Reply 3 of 15, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can find a very usefull collection of voodoo drivers here:

http://www.falconfly.de/3dfx.htm

and here:

http://www.3dfxzone.it/index.php

(They have also a forum in italian language that you might be able to understand as you speak spanish)

Dos Glide games usually access the file glide.ovl (or Glide2x.ovl) which should be part of the respective driver package. Some games only work with a specific version of this file, and so you have to try out which one is the right one.
I think all dos based glide games were designed for the voodoo graphics aka voodoo 1, most of them work with a voodoo2 but may not work with later voodoos, namely voodoo 3,4,5. I recommend another google research about "Tomb Raider & later voodoo cards", I remember that some people got it working...

Sorry, my spanish is too rusty to translate this... ¡buena suerte!

Last edited by Silent Loon on 2008-05-29, 13:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 15, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No en dos puro, ni la Voodoo Banshee ni la Voodoo 3 tenían drivers Glide para DOS. Para ejecutar Tomb Raider en ese equipo, la mejor opción es instalarlo y ejecutarlo desde un Windows 9x.

Instala Tomb Raider o el Unfinished Business, instala el parche para cualquiera de las Voodoo y después copia los ficheros GLIDE2X.OVL y GLIDE2X.DLL de tu directorio de Windows al de Tomb Raider (si no lo haces, Tomb Raider estará intentando funcionar con los drivers de la Voodoo 1 o 2). En Windows funcionará seguro, en DOS no.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 15, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh, you should translate that into English, Zup. I think you were thinking you were in another forum. 😁

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 15, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Heh, you should translate that into English, Zup. I think you were thinking you were in another forum. 😁

Yes, in english also please since I'm interested in thi8s topic too but I know maybe 10 words in spanish, 🤣
My german is better though 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 8 of 15, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will translate it:

Zup wrote:

Not in pure ms-dos, neither Voodoo Banshee nor Vooodoo 3 had Glide drivers for dos. In order to run Tomb Raider on that setup, your best best is installing and running it from Windows 9x.

Install Tomb Raider or Unfinished Business, install the patch for any Voodoo card and then copy GLIDE2X.OVL and GLIDE2X.DLL from Windows folder to the folder where you installed the game. (If you don't follow these steps, Tomb Raider will try to run using Voodoo 1 or 2 drivers). It will probably work under Windows but not under dos at all.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 9 of 15, by SBlaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, now i understand, i'm going to try the latest official drvers for the voodoo 3. And another question, some glide DOS games didn't use the file glide2x.dll/glide2x.ovl, they used the hardware directly (the first Tomb Raider patch and some other games), Will these games work? Tomorrow i will post the results.

Reply 10 of 15, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Yes, in english also please since I'm interested in thi8s topic too but I know maybe 10 words in spanish, 🤣

How is your Danish then ? is it too hard to understand Danish for you ? or is it a piece of cake ?

Reply 11 of 15, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

How is your Danish then ? is it too hard to understand Danish for you ? or is it a piece of cake ?

Depends on from what region in Denmark we're talking...sometimes I have troubles especially if a person is speaking very fast, I guess our brothers in Denmark have easier understanding us that we have understanding them sometimes 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 12 of 15, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
WolverineDK wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

Depends on from what region in Denmark we're talking...sometimes I have troubles especially if a person is speaking very fast, I guess our brothers in Denmark have easier understanding us that we have understanding them sometimes 😉

Well, you see 😀 I come from Copenhagen, and I have always tried to pronounce the words, and say them clearly. And jo, jeg kan godt tale langsomt 😀

translation "yes I can speak slowly". And I understand my two brother countries languages without much trouble, I just need to listen 😀

And my Danish dialect is very flat. So there won´t be so much "singing" in the dialect. Like other places in Denmark.

Reply 13 of 15, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SBlaster wrote:

another question, some glide DOS games didn't use the file glide2x.dll/glide2x.ovl, they used the hardware directly (the first Tomb Raider patch and some other games), Will these games work? Tomorrow i will post the results.

no, unless they released a v3 patch

Reply 14 of 15, by SBlaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did some tests, UT works great and TR 1 works like a charm and carmaggedon is now working great, killing people fells better, Blood ... is not working and i hate because it was one of the games i wanted to make run in glide. I also tested Carnivores for Win and it also works excellent. I will be getting in a few days a monster diamond 3d (With Voodoo 1 Chipset) for playing Blood. See you later.