VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by skyfex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I'm trying to run one of my favourite oldies, fury of the furries.

Problem is, it runs, but veeeery very slowly.. I have tried with VDMSound, of course.. helped for the music but it still runs quite slow. And never gets to the menu. In Dosbox, it seems to run good at the intro screen, but it fades out and never fades into the menu. Any ideas?

CPU: 1,4ghz Amd athlon
Ram: 1GB
3D: Asus GeForce 3 card

Reply 2 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oooops!

It seems this game makes a lot of direct PIT (Programmable Interrupt Controller) programming which doesn't like modern systems (APIC) a bit. The outcome is that it has severe timing issues rendering it utterly unplayable.

I tested it under WinXP + SP1 with my Athlon XP 1800+, GF4 and integrated CMI8738 audio.
It doesn't work well under DosBox either. Very slow too.

Under DOS, using the DOS emulator provided for my sound card, I get music + sound and the game runs at correct speed, but alas, as soon as i choose a language (the loading bat file just calls the intro, the language selection screen and the game itself) the systems hangs. Haven't tried with no sound, though - but what's the point. Should try that, just to isolate this issue further. I will post back, in a moment.

EDIT: Without loading my sound-card DOS emulator, the game works just fine and I even get digitized INTERNAL SPEAKER samples, which is better than nothing.

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2003-08-24, 20:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by skyfex Problem is, it runs, but veeeery very slowly.. I have tried with VDMSound, of course.. helped for the music but it still runs quite slow.

That's because it "Hates NT". There's no way of getting it run properly without a source port (dream on) or using Emulation.

And never gets to the menu. In Dosbox, it seems to run good at the intro screen, but it fades out and never fades into the menu.

Oddly enough, I ran into the same speed issue on the intro in DosBox. Once I finally got past the intro, it ran fine in DosBox.

When running it DosBox, you need to remember several factors:
1) Your processor speed.

Many people don't seem to realize that DosBox is an actual PC emulator, not a "game-runner-thingie" (present company excepted...I hope). This shouldn't apply to anyone in this thread for this particular title, however.

2) In your configuration file, make sure the KEEPSMALL setting is set to TRUE. Many games simply need too many resources to run in a double-sized window.

3) Most games will need an "optimum" setting for the # of CYCLES they use. Too many or too few will produce similar results.
IOW, try increasing AND decreasing the # of CYCLES that DosBox is using.

Having said all that, if you still can't get it running properly, you might try emulating the Amiga or CD32 version or the Mac version.

Reply 6 of 10, by skyfex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you have the amiga version? I know i shouldnt ask for it but i have looked EVERYWHERE for it.. Mac works too. But i'll try waiting for the menu. Still, send pm or something if you have the amiga version or know where i can get it.

Reply 7 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GREAT!!!

I downloaded today a CVS version of DosBox and now it's working GREAT, even music + sound. We don't need foreign versions anymore. PC rules!!! DosBox makers rule!!!

BTW: Deathbringer is also working now... Cool...

Download CVS versions from here:
http://forums.pixelz.org/showthread.php?t=13

(Check the DosBox Forum section)

Reply 9 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by skyfex Do you have the amiga version? I know i shouldnt ask for it but i have looked EVERYWHERE for it..

*heh* Keep looking. One downside to the Amiga version is that the floppy version was 32-color only. The CD32 version might've been 256 colors, but that would be even harder to find. In any case, you should try the CVS version of DosBox. If you miss the Amiga (.MOD) versions of the music, you can grab those tunes at Back 2 the Roots.

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR I downloaded today a CVS version of DosBox and now it's working GREAT, even music + sound. We don't need foreign versions anymore. PC rules!!!

Foreign? Foreign?
*throws spoon at eL_PuSHeR*