VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This game just suxx big time. It is completely full of bugs. On a varying amount of locations it will kick you back to desktop when accessing inventory or using some item from it. I have been playing this game for quite a some time now and I am beginning to become frustated, because even if I had a trick to avoid being kicked out. It was to reload last saved game, go back to map and enter "offending" screen again. But now, no matter how i try, i cannot get past the "kidnappers' house screen. When I use the door to exit, the game kicks me again to desktop. ALWAYS. I've been trying to run it under DOS with NO SOUND and no way, the game doesn't even work at all. HELP is very much appreciated. A pity, because i think this is a great adventure game.

Reply 4 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Harekiet wrote:

Hmm lessee p120 with 16 mb, s3 trio64 with 2 mb, 4 speed cdrom, 2 gb harddisk, and isa cmi8330 sb 16 compatible soundcard thing

*drool drool*

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, At last I have been able to run it from dos. I don't know why but I had to modify the .BAT file that serves as loader to suit my needs. Anyway with the crappy SB emulator my integrated CMI8738 audio chip has I cannot get digitised samples, even if setsound says SB is detected. This suxx, but at least the game works properly under pure DOS, allowing me to play. I miss the voices, though. They are quite good, imho.
I have been testing it under DosBox too (CVS). CHKVESA reports just two vesa modes 0x100 (640x400x8) and 0x101 (640x480x8). Surprisingly enough, the game loads and sound it's properly synchronized. The music and digitised samples sound superb. but alas, I got a black screen for video... Another nasty surprise of VESA support. Tried several VESA implementations to no avail: UNIVESA, VBEPlus and NOLFB. None of them worked. Worse still, they tended to break up DosBox internal VESA support, which didn't surprise me at all. Better leave DosBox alone.
I think I'll have to resort to play this under plain DOS, without samples... Yeech!

Reply 8 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just found my CD. Will check and get back with you.

BTW. I have a Gateway 486-66 used for testing. I would use the 386 or the 386SX machines, but they have no easy way of using up CD-ROM devices.

Reply 9 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WOW!

I've been able to get it running under DosBox (latest CVS). It isn't totally smooth but playable. No more weird hangs. The problem with most protected games is that they require more cycles and maybe frameskip=1 (look at my post on DosBox Forum)

Reply 11 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nich Sehr Gut, so far, i've been playing it using VDMSound under WinXP, but i reached a point where my saved games could not be loaded anymore with success. So far, i haven't got these problems with DosBox (using same savegames).

Reply 12 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR ...but i reached a point where my saved games could not be loaded anymore with success. So far, i haven't got these problems with DosBox (using same savegames).

So it wouldn't load up your old save games? Zip them up and post them here. BTW, what does it do when you try to restore?