VOGONS

Common searches

Underclocking Pentiums?

Topic actions

First post, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have seen people setting up old <486 systems to play old games but how about newer Pentium systems?

http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php

Lowest Frequency Reached :

* Nº 1 : viili reached 8.18 MHz with an AMD K5 (0.0 µm)

Details

MB : Asus P/I-P55TVP4 (Intel i430VX rev 02) - RAM : 32 MB
* Nº 2 : Szpecu(ocsystems.org) reached 10.19 MHz with an Intel Pentium (0.35 µm)

Details

MB : ALADDIN5 (ALI Aladdin 5 rev 04) - RAM : 256 MB
* Nº 3 : trodas reached 10.74 MHz with an Intel Pentium (0.35 µm)

Details

MB : Asus TX97-XE (Intel i430TX rev 01) - RAM : 64 MB
* Nº 4 : WoOx3r[Pt] reached 10.82 MHz with an AMD K6-2 (0.25 µm)

Details

MB : ALADDIN5 (ALI Aladdin 5 rev 04) - RAM : 128 MB
* Nº 5 : Supercoolin86 reached 15.4 MHz with an Intel Pentium (0.35 µm)

Details

MB : Asus TXP4 (Intel i430TX rev 01) - RAM : Hyundai Electronics 64 MB

Seems it's possible

Win98 Gold: 1GHz PIII - GeForce2 - Voodoo2 - 768MB - SCSI 😀

Reply 2 of 22, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you can search google and find software that will consume 99% of all your CPU cores so as to leave very little time for your old game resulting in it running slower 😀 of course your whole computer runs notably slower too.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3 of 22, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Toshiba laptops i've used have a 'low' processor setting in the BIOS which simply halves the MHz, which is actually quite convenient (But this is not automatic). That's the only good official underclocking for those I know 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 22, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried running Wing Commander on my Pentium 3 and it was unplayable because it was way too fast. Back in the DOS days there were a number 'PC slow-down' utilities available for such games, specifically for games made to run on 8086 machines. I tried an exhaustive search but couldn't find any. DOSBOX was the solution since it offers control of the clock cycles and thus I was able to enjoy Wing Commander at proper speed.

Reply 6 of 22, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this is so confusing

you'd underclock your cpu? that's the weirdest thing every, why wouldn't the game just run on it's regular speed? it's so old that it can only run at the speed the computer is going? crazy

Reply 9 of 22, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

abyss should stop posting under different names.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

someone who invented your posting style 😀

wouldn't the game being old have something to do with how it's programmed?

No, people just program with limited horizon from time to time. Same reason for the famous y2k bug 😀

In the case of WC3 they tried to squeeze out as much power as they could from the system.

they don't have emulators to solve those clock rate problems?

huh? At that time, no they didn'T have emulators that could emulate fro them how fast a system could run a decade later...
And yes, today we have emulators for that, for example Dosbox and even with that yor game could run way too fast on higher machines and you must "underclock" Dosbox with the cycles command...

Reply 13 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does Wing Commander 3 really have the same problems as WC1&2? I suppose I've never run the game on super fast hardware, to my knowledge. It runs really nicely on a PPro@233 however. Not too fast.

WC3 runs rather awful in SVGA on 486 level CPUs though. That's what I originally played it on. A 486DX2/50 with a CL5426 ISA vid card. Zoooooooom...errrr....

Reply 14 of 22, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm talking about WC1. I haven't played WC2 or 3 - yet. I tried WC1 on a Pentium II 400mhz and Pentium III 1.2ghz and it runs at warp speed, like taking an old fashioned movie projector and playing it at the fastest speed possible. It ran fine on the 486DX 33mhz I used to own though. Oddly other games from around that era (Wolfenstein 3D, Keen, Wacky Wheels etc.) all play fine on the higher end machines.

I got WC1 to play fine on my Dual core P4 by setting cycles to 8000 and core normal in DOSBOX.

Reply 15 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh yeah, Wing Commander 1 and 2 definitely have really bad problems with timing. Even with DOSBOX it's hard to make the game behave properly cuz different areas of the game can need different cycle speeds.

Reply 16 of 22, by Dr LF Toxic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried CPUBurnin (to fully load the CPU)

If Not, i have just Googled. I am assuming you are running a Windows System, MoSlow will be a good idea.
http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/basic.asp

It will control the programs (or games) so that they do not run too fast. 😁

When theres games, there is the Toxic

Reply 18 of 22, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember using an old utility called "Slowmo" in the past. I remember using it to play Themepark on my old P166 MMX as it just ran way too fast!! Then i got it for the Saturn.