VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gaula92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there

This time it's Alone in The Dark CD what I'm running with VDMSound 2.1.0.
I've made a .NRG image of my old original, and mounted it with Daemon Tools (my eee box doesn't have a CD ROM unit and I preffer images anyway). Windows XP Media Player can faithfully play the great audio CD tracks! yay!

Sadly, the game installs and runs fine with VDMSound, and plays digitalized speech (not an audio track), but not AUDIO CD TRACKS. I had to activate low level CDROM SUPPORT in vdmsound for the game to detect the mounted image as a game CD.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Reply 3 of 4, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gaula92 wrote:

Sadly, the game installs and runs fine with VDMSound, and plays digitalized speech (not an audio track), but not AUDIO CD TRACKS. I had to activate low level CDROM SUPPORT in vdmsound for the game to detect the mounted image as a game CD.

If you are using the WinXP NTVDM to execute DOS games which use the audio tracks on a CD-ROM you have to do the following:

1.) The NTVDM will only play CD-ROM audio tracks from the lowest LETTERED opticial drive (real or emulated) in your WinXP system. It does not matter what type, or the number of optical drives you have in your system, if you wish to hear the CD-ROM audio tracks using the NTVDM, you MUST have the optical or emulated drive that you are going to use as the lowest alphabetically lettered 'drive' in your system. This may require going into the Disk Administrator to re-jigger your system. This also may affect the drive lettering of any installed games if the install CD-ROM drive letter is no longer the same.

2. ) The low-level CD-ROM support activated by VDMSound 2.1.0 is the default Microsoft code contained in Mscdexnt.exe - Microsoft CD-ROM Extensions (MSCDEX) for NT family OS, which does not support the DOS MSCDEX functions 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, E, and F in the NT family code. The VDMSound 2.1.0 package includes a superior MSCDEX replacement located in the VDMSound210 sub-directory named SAPUCDEX.EXE, use this in the place of the MSCDEXNT.EXE file which is called in the default AUTOEXEC.NT NTVDM file.

dvwjr