VOGONS

Common searches

Blood & Magic

Topic actions

First post, by Jonathan197

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I have been trying to get this game working for about 2 hours now and i'm almost ready to give up 🙁

I downloaded a torrent of blood & magic which was a .rar file
I extracted the .rar in a folder located directly on my c: drive which is called DOSGames

Now the extraction is complete and it created a folder called bloodmagicd which is inside my folder called DOSGames.

C:/DOSGames/bloodmagicd this is where we are so far, now inside bloodmagicd there are 4 files.
BAM.ccd
BAM.cue
BAM.img
BAM.sub

My problem is what to do with these 4 files to create a .exe or .bat file I can run with dosbox. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really would love to play BAM again the game is a classic.

Reply 1 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Since you are using an illegal copy I suggest you take your questions to the place you obtained it.

The question you need to ask yourself now is this:

Is my time spent in getting this illegal copy to work in DOSBox worth more to me, than the costs of buying a legally licensed copy of the game on eBay, Amazon or some other reputable site?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 15, by Jonathan197

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you can find me a licensed copy of blood and magic to purchase I will gladly do so... I have been trolling ebay for about 6 weeks and amazon only have copies of might and magic.

Reply 3 of 15, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jonathan197 wrote:

If you can find me a licensed copy of blood and magic to purchase I will gladly do so... I have been trolling ebay for about 6 weeks and amazon only have copies of might and magic.

I don't condone piracy, but you do bring up an interesting point.

I think classic dos games will be increasingly more difficult to find because collectors aren't going to let go of their hard to find items. Add in the fact that floppies do go bad, new dos game fans will have to go the piracy route. It should ease up when we start to pass on, but by then how many people will even want to play these games?

Reply 4 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

http://www.bsa.org/Contact%20BSA.aspx

My only other advice is to buy a few legitimate games, both on CD or as downloads, or get some freeware ones (there are plenty over at http://www.liberatedgames.com) and learn how to install them and how to operate DOSBox correctly. Once you know how DOSBox works, then feel free to adventure into the jungle of bungled-up torrents.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 15, by Jonathan197

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think classic dos games will be increasingly more difficult to find because collectors aren't going to let go of their hard to find items. Add in the fact that floppies do go bad, new dos game fans will have to go the piracy route.

Yes, but I would have thought this opinion was common knowledge by now, hell half of the companies that published alot of the older DOS games dont even exist anymore. Blood & Magic was developed by Interplay and so is an exception, however Interplay no longer sell copies or licenses or have available downloads of that particular game... Yet they still support Battle Chess??

Without getting in to a long heated debate about piracy which would be fairly pointless as its after the fact, what I need to know is how to mount multiple drives in DOSbox. I have managed to mount my c: drive already and installed the game but when I try to run it I get the error "missing cinematic" and it asks me to insert the disc... I have put the game on to a disc but now just cant seem to mount my d: drive and c: drive simultaneously... I can do either/or but not both.

Reply 6 of 15, by Jonathan197

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

http://www.bsa.org/Contact%20BSA.aspx

My only other advice is to buy a few legitimate games, both on CD or as downloads, or get some freeware ones (there are plenty over at http://www.liberatedgames.com) and learn how to install them and how to operate DOSBox correctly. Once you know how DOSBox works, then feel free to adventure into the jungle of bungled-up torrents.

The games available on these sites come complete with .exe or .bat files and so I have no problems whatsoever running them.

Reply 7 of 15, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is an irrational distain for "piracy" on this site. I don't know how to help you and I very much doubt that one of the "regulars" here will help you. You should take Mini Max's advice and find help at one of the many abandonware sites.

Reply 8 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

while it might seem irrational to do. We would hate to see the DOSBox or any of the other projects being shutdown because the support forum hosted or linked to illegal material.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 15, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

while it might seem irrational to do. We would hate to see the DOSBox or any of the other projects being shutdown because the support forum hosted or linked to illegal material.

I agree that links to or hosting "abandonware" is risky business for an emulator group. But there is an underlying disdain or even hatred for what is called abandonware and the people who download it. That's the irrational part I'm talking about.

For example I mentioned on a thread why wasn't there any effort to making a Wii version of Dosbox. The thread was closed and I given no opportunity to debate. I assume probably because people would only play pirate versions of games. Yet other emulator communities have been getting their fix on the Wii. And those people don't seem to be worried about Nintendo.

Reply 10 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the "hatred" comes from the fact that a lot of problems are caused by faulty configuration or rips of the abandonware scene, giving us a lot of work. (the original unripped versions tend to run fine in DOSBox)

As far as I know it isn't legal to run dosbox on the WII. Nintendo hasn't asked us to create a port of it and of such I suppose it needs to be installed on the Wii through some hack or abuse. Again for our own protection such discussion should be taken elsewhere.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 15, by Jonathan197

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well debating the ethics of piracy isn't illegal in any country that I know of and neither is providing theoretical support. As far as posting links to abandonware sites/info the regulations vary wildly from country to country but intellectual copyright is still an issue thats up in the air in alot of places. Ethically I dont particularly agree with piracy but when its the only real solution then I dont have any problem with it, especially for old games that you cant really acquire from anywhere else.

Reply 12 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

but when its the only real solution then I dont have any problem with it, especially for old games that you cant really acquire from anywhere else.

Then do that on YOUR forum and not here.

Reply 13 of 15, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Linking and discussing illegal content is what brought negative charges against the Pirate Bay. Whatever your thoughts on them, we can't allow the same to happen here. I remember getting a copy of Blood and Magic years ago in a D&D silver box set... yet my CDs are missing somewhere. Something I'd look for.

I believe the reason why Interplay no longer supports/sells Blood and Magic but does BattleChess is because Blood and Magic is a Dungeons and Dragons liscenced game (which they no longer have the liscence to) while BattleChess is their own IP.

Reply 14 of 15, by Kit Silva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you mean this one?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/gamefest-forgot … realms-classics

There's also a copy of the game on eBay with "easy Vista setup" which probably means it has DOSBox bundled with it.

Reply 15 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jonathan197 wrote:

http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/blood&mpr.htm