VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RexFesto696

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got a very old Windows 98 computer for playing DOS and Old Windows games on. My latest game to put on there is Rayman (the original) for DOS.

It works fine, except there's no CD audio. I specifically made sure my sound card was hooked up to the CD drive, and when I play games like Sonic CD and Sonic 3D Blast, their CD Audio works fine.

Computer Specs:
Processor: Intel Pentium, MMX
RAM: 128 MB
DirectX: v6.1a
Video: Trident
Sound: Sound Blaster PCI64 Direct Sound Driver

Sound for DOS only works when I'm in Windows. In pure DOS, nothing is detected. No sound, no CD drive.

Is there any way to get the computer to play Rayman with CD Audio?

Reply 3 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember getting this game going some seven years ago. The speed throttling never worked quite right. Sometimes it would be too fast, sometimes too slow. It drove me on an expensive wild goose chase to build my own DOS machine.

But I digress. Are you sure the copy you're trying to play has CD audio? The easiest way to check would be to look at the CD with IsoBuster. (I'm pretty sure you can try to play the tracks from there too.)

I kind of doubt MSCDEX has anything to do with it, but if you go to Start->Run and type "sysedit", you can view your config.sys and autoexec.bat there.

Reply 4 of 8, by RexFesto696

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It does have CD Audio. I tried it on DOSBox on my up-to-date computer.

I just had a helluva time trying to get the CD and Audio Drivers to work in Pure DOS. I succeeded, but now Rayman will only work in Windows Mode. In Pure DOS, when I try to start it up, the screen glitches and my computer resets. The game is in the same situation it was before in Windows Mode. Sound, but no CD Audio.

I'll post my config.sys and autoexec.bat later tonight, and see what we can do from there...

Reply 5 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have a cable going between your CD-ROM drive and your soundcard for CD audio? It should look like this: 5351619.jpg

Some PCI sound cards (and all modern computers) didn't need that when running in Windows because they could stream the CD audio through the IDE data cable, but DOS didn't support that unless you were running DOS drivers for the sound card (I remember using DOS drivers with my SB PCI128 to get Battlespire's CD Audio to play in DOS without needing an audio cable, but I think it was glitchy).

If you're serious about playing DOS games on that old computer then you may want to look into buying an ISA sound card (assuming it has ISA slots).

Reply 6 of 8, by RexFesto696

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the help, but I got it working myself. The solution was VERY simple:

I own an original Rayman CD-ROM, which I keep preserved in my closet. I made a backup image of it on my computer for playing with. I wrote the image in BIN/CUE format and mounted it using Virtual Clone Drive (Freeware) to burn to disc. Except here's the problem: VCD only read and burned the BIN part and NOT the CUE. THAT's why there was no CD Audio.

To make sure this was the problem, I took some other backups I made for my games with CD Audio (i.e. Sonic CD and Sonic 3D Blast) and played them in the CD Player on my 98 computer. They played just fine. I made a new disc of Rayman using Nero Burning ROM (which came with my computer) with the CUE intact. I popped it into the 98 computer and ~voila!!~ CD Audio.

Just shows that a little research on the Internet can go a long long way. And I learned more about DOS from it too!

Thanks again for all the help though.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RexFesto696 wrote:

I own an original Rayman CD-ROM, which I keep preserved in my closet. I made a backup image of it on my computer for playing with. I wrote the image in BIN/CUE format and mounted it using Virtual Clone Drive (Freeware) to burn to disc. Except here's the problem: VCD only read and burned the BIN part and NOT the CUE. THAT's why there was no CD Audio.

Yeah, you might have mentioned that.

Reply 8 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, yeah didn't realize you were using an image instead of a real disc.

Most people are recommending ImgBurn these days for ripping BIN/CUE because it's free, simple, and works really well.