VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I'm having a strange problem.

I have a real MT-32

I also have the Floppy version of Star Trek Judgement Rites (25th anniversary sequel) and just picked up a copy of the CD-ROM version which has speech.

The speech is great.

The MT-32 support in the CD-ROM version is not! Or, so far that I have found.

The Floppy version of the game supports MT-32 perfectly, uploads patch banks etc., whereas the CD-ROM version just uses the default sounds?

Any ideas?

Last edited by Mr_Blastman on 2009-11-30, 18:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

What do you mean "the DOS version"? I don't recall there were versions for Windows?

Or are you comparing floppy and CD-ROM (with speech) versions here?

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.

Reply 7 of 17, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This same issue always used to happen to me. I don't remember if I fixed it or not. I remember thinking that it just might be that the instruments on Judgment Rites aren't as good as the instruments on 25th Anniversary (which doesn't make sense). But I definitely ran into the same problem that you did....at least you're not alone in that problem.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 9 of 17, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is definitely configured for MT-32 and I have the right port picked. The game refuses to upload instruments so I am stuck with defaults which sound horrible.

My CD-ROM was printed in 1998 by Interplay, it is not the first CD-ROM version which came out in 1995. It has a graphical SVGA installation interface and configuration screen.

What version do you have Robert?

If I run the FLOPPY version of the game, it uploads instruments perfectly for Judgement Rites, just not in my CD-ROM version, which I'd rather play because of the full speech.

Reply 10 of 17, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

my installer is vga (the same as floppy installer).

Check whether your game saves different config file for gm and mt32. Are you using DOSBox? Have you installed the game properly in dosbox?

Reply 11 of 17, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh it definitely is installed properly. I am using Dosbox as well.

The installer for sure is different from the original--this installer is high resolution and even the sound selection screen is high resolution with pretty super vga (well, 640x480) artwork.

My fears are as worse as worse can be--that the 1998 CD-ROM version is modified from the 1995 CD-ROM version. Your installer is ANSI text right?

I bought this version off of Amazon and I suppose at the time did not know there was a difference between the CD-ROM versions. 🙁 It is as if the driver/executable is handling the MT-32 completely differently than the vanilla disk version.

I will check the config file and let you know.

One interesting thing--in the CD-ROM version I have, there are no .MT files in the various subdirectories (well, I'll have to double check that), but the file structures are different in some ways. Also, in order to run the sound setup, unlike the Disk version, I have to run Install, not Setup like before.

Do you run Setup on your version?

Reply 13 of 17, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I enclose list of files on my cd (it is mostly the same as floppy version). I don't have any .mt files anywhere.

I also enclose my .cfg file configured to use only mt/lapc (no mouse, sound blaster, so it looks very simple to compare).

Attachments

• Filename
    dir.txt
    File size
    41.11 KiB
    Downloads
    343 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    INTRPLAY.CFG
    File size
    16 Bytes
    Downloads
    567 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 17, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the directory list. To me, it looks like you have a cd of all the dos version of various countries and not the full speech/video version? It appeared to me to not take up nearly the amount of space that my version does.

The CD alone is 500+ megs of data and every single line of text in it is spoken by one of the original series actors.

Reply 15 of 17, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have tried a different version with svga setup and more speech/videos. So they made new version of the game use Human Machine Interfaces sound drivers. A lot of games use Human Machine Interfaces sound drivers and I was not able to make any of them use MT-32 properly. Although all these games can use General MIDI/General Standard, so that is not a problem at all.

BTW - notice that movies no longer use midi music in the new version.

Reply 16 of 17, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mr_Blastman wrote:

Thanks for the directory list. To me, it looks like you have a cd of all the dos version of various countries and not the full speech/video version? It appeared to me to not take up nearly the amount of space that my version does.

The CD alone is 500+ megs of data and every single line of text in it is spoken by one of the original series actors.

Hi, a bit off topic... is this true? Mobygames says, "In the floppy disk version of the game, the Enterprise's computer held a huge library of Star Trek Trivia." ... ... ... "Sadly, for the Talkie CD, this database was lost because of their decision to use Majel Barrett as the computer voice." http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/star-trek-j … nt-rites/trivia

I ask because the database seems in-tact in the CD-ROM version, with both text and audio (voice).

Also, anyone have ID #s or pics of the CD-ROM version mentioned above that contains the floppy version localized for many diferent locations?

Thx for the thread.

Reply 17 of 17, by Python1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dont have anything on what your asking vogamer but as this thread has been resurrected here is a fix for the original issue, created by tikalat.

Re: Interplay - sound driver hacking