VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RepoOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I was recently given a rather old machine from 1997, so I formatted, installed Windows 98, and upgraded the hardware a bit. I'm currently having a few issues with it (configuration, primarily), for I haven't used Windows 98 with DOS in a long time.

The machine has the following specs:
Celeron 300A
160MB SDRAM
ATI Rage Pro AGP 2X 8MB
Yamaha YMF719 ISA Sound Card
Shuttle HOT-637 Motherboard (i440LX based)

Well, everything works in Windows, but when I switch to DOS mode, my CD-ROM drive and sound no longer work. My CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT are empty, except for a SET BLASTER in my AUTOEXEC. DOSSTART.BAT is also empty. I know I need to configure these with MSCDEX and probably sound drivers, but I'm finding it hard to find information on either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

config.sys

DEVICE=C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:123 (mtmcdai.sys is the cdrom driver yours will be diferent)
LASTDRIVEHIGH =F:

some emm386.exe examples
http://users.cybercity.dk/~bse26236/batutil/help/EMM386E.HTM

autoexec.bat

@echo off
SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6 (replace with your set blaster lines)
LH C:\Windows\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:123 (change to location of your mscdex.exe)
prompt $p$g

many games readme's will come with sample config.sys files dependinging on what type of memory the need

remember run memaker.exe if you have it

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 8, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

I think the yamaha does emulate a soundblaster
sbpro I beleive

Yes indeed, check out Yamaha's legacy driver support including DOS mode:

CLICKY!!!

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 5 of 8, by RepoOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a YMF719, which is a rebranded YMF715, which is described as
"Controller+Codec, SB/SBPro/SB16/MPU-401 compatible, PnP, IDE, Integr. OPL3, adds power management and 3D sound."

Right now I'm having problems with it, though, as it is making sound via OPL3 in Windows, but non-MIDI sound will not play. I've had this problem since I installed the wrong drivers and uninstalled them. I'm going to try a reinstall of the default Windows drivers.

Reply 7 of 8, by RepoOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Filipetolhuizen was right. I fixed my problem (sound card was loose and dusty), installed the W98 driver pack (which included the TSR for DOS), and now my sound works. Also, Davros' suggested CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT settings work great. Thank you so much.

Now all I need are game recommendations. I've already installed Strike Commander, Jazz Jackrabbit, Tyrian 2000, Epic Pinball, and Zone 66.

Reply 8 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Celeron 300, anything around the level of unreal should run ok, look for games released 1999 or earlier
as for dos games doom, descent, duke3d, wing commander, system shock, crusader, syndicate, beneath a steel sky (free at gog http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/beneath_a_steel_sky)

that should keep you going for a bit

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness