VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kestrel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone,

So recently in my efforts to bring order to my study and my computer (by formatting the HD) I came across a game that I had completely forgotten how much fun I had playing it. As my hand brushed lightly against the Xcom: Apocalypse case the memories rushed back into my mind and I decided to setup a dual boot system Win98/XP instead of only XP just so I could play this wonderful game again.

I can run the game just fine, but apprently I have no sound. I am a little lost as to how I can proceed further with this as I do not particularly undeerstand the idea behind "emulators".

Could someone give me a run down on how they work and if it could help with my situation?

or

Could someone recommend a currently sold Win98 compatable Sound Card that can be configured appropriately by Apoc or myself?

Thanks in advance.

Specs that I know:
Sorry do not know what type of MoBo I have... It does have onboard sound (not yet installed) however if that makes a difference. I have not set it up as I think it will not work with Apoc.

P4 2.8
512 DDR Ram
ATI Radeon 128 RAM
No Sound board (yet)
Dual boot Win98/XP Apoc is installed and functioning on the 98 partition.

Description of problem:
Help with emulators and usable sound cards.

Reply 1 of 2, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would suggest you to try out both VDMSound and DOSBox applications first. VDMSound is an add-on for the NTVDM, the part of WinXP that makes posible to open Dos boxes while DOSBox is a fully implemented ms-dos emulator.

IMPORTANT: Using the SEARCH feature on this forum is also a good start point for getting information on how to run a particular game.

Reply 2 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Kestrel I decided to setup a dual boot system Win98/XP instead of only XP...

Smart move...

I can run the game just fine, but apprently I have no sound.

Best I ever got was "relatively stable operation" in silence on Win98SE. XCOM:A is pretty picky about audio.

I am a little lost as to how I can proceed further with this as I do not particularly understand the idea behind "emulators".

For what is being discussed on this message board, an emulator (is a piece of software (sometimes hardware and software) that impersonates another computer or game system or a specific piece of PC hardware (like how VDMSound impersonates a "SoundBlaster 16" card, then pumps the audio data out to your real audio device).

Could someone give me a run down on how they work and if it could help with my situation?

XCOM:A has very few success stories thus far:
search.php?action=showresults&searchid=75782& … rder=descending

Could someone recommend a currently sold Win98 compatable Sound Card that can be configured appropriately by Apoc or myself?

They are getting hard to find but AOpen still sells a model with full DOS support.

Sorry do not know what type of MoBo I have...

AIDA32 - Personal System Information

Try running AIDA32 (the personal version). If you choose the ZIP version you don't even have to install it, just unzip and run the AIDA executable.

P4 2.8

Note that DosBox is getting close to running this properly, so it may be a future solution.

It might be slow but with a 2.8GHz processor, it should be tolerable (DosBox runs like the equivalent of a 25MHz 386 on my 1.7GHz Celeron).