VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The setup program starts dos4gw then exits immediately, descentr.exe hangs at "loading data".

All the patches I tried said "old file not found", the version I have apparently is 1.0.
Any thoughts?

Reply 5 of 13, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a note for myself when installing Descent which says the following:

In order to apply the patch, reduce the screen resolution to 640x480 and reduce the color to 8-bit beforehand

Also, if you have the North American Version 1.0, and you want to upgrade to Version 1.5 (the latest version), make sure to apply the Version 1.0=>Version 1.4a patch and then apply the Version 1.4a=>Version 1.5 patch. Both patches are available here:

http://www.interplay.com/support/support.php?id=263

Don't use the Version 1.0=>Version 1.5 patch. See this thread if you want to know why:

Descent Version 1.5 Patch Fix

Good luck!

Reply 6 of 13, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 1-1.4 and 1-1.4a all gave the "old file not found" error message when trying to patch, I installed it fresh twice 😒

[Edit]
Exact same results running under win98, except I can alt+enter and force quit when it hangs.

ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ PATCH Version 2.03 - .RTPatch(R) - S […]
Show full quote

ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ
PATCH Version 2.03 - .RTPatch(R) - Software Update System
DOS and Windows Edition
(C) Copyright Pocket Soft, Inc., 1991-1994. All Rights Reserved.
ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ

ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ
DESCENT Registered
1.0->1.4a Update Patch
ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ

View README.TXT for latest
version changes!

ÄÄÄÄÄ Processing Patch File ÄÄÄÄÄ

Applying ADD File Patch for 'README.TXT'

New Version of File 'README.TXT' already exists.

Applying ADD File Patch for 'DESCENT.FAQ'

New Version of File 'DESCENT.FAQ' already exists.

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'DESCENTR.EXE'

error ept0036: Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was
found. No update done since file contents do not match.

Reply 9 of 13, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is a list of all the versions I am familiar with:

Package Name - Media - Designation - Version
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Descent - Floppy - IBM-118-3 - 1.0
Descent - CD-ROM - CD-ICD-118-0 - 1.0
Descent - CD-ROM - CD-ICD-500-0 - 1.5
Descent I and II:
The Definitive Collection - CD-ROM - CD-H95-700-3 - 1.5
Descent I and II:
The Definitive Collection
(European) - CD-ROM - CD-H95-700-0 - 1.4a (sort of)

I am fairly certain this list is not complete because I don't have a copy of the Anniversary Edition of Descent (which should be Version 1.4a).

SKARDAVNELNATE (a user in this forum) and I created an "alignment patch" for the weird European version on the CD-H95-700-0 disks, and you can get a copy of the patch here at VOGONS:

Descent Version 1.4a Alignment Patch

Which of the above versions do you have, or do you have yet another version? Also, look at the README.TXT file for the game on the CD-ROM or in a fresh installation, it should indicate the version at the beginning of the document when it enumerates the changes in preceding versions.

Reply 10 of 13, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The CD I have is "CD-ICD-118-0".

Problem sort-of solved:

It appears that there is a data corruption issue when installing descent under FreeDOS.
I just had the random idea to try installing under Windows and now it patches and runs perfectly.

Very bizarre stuff.

Reply 11 of 13, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, at least you know your CD-ROM isn't corrupted. Glad to hear you have isolated the problem (more or less). I hope someone with some FreeDOS experience can help you find a solution.

You might try to copy the Windows installation to your FreeDOS environment and see if it works now that you have a properly patched copy.

Reply 12 of 13, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's the weirdest thing, it works perfectly under FreeDOS - it just doesn't install.
Maybe later I'll hunt around and try to find out what is causing it.

Reply 13 of 13, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While the installer works for me in Win98 SE, it doesn't work at all in WinXP SP3. I have heard others say the same thing. I end up just copying the CD-ROM contents to an empty directory in WinXP and running it that way.