VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SoulSkorpion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to play the original Wing Commander using VDMSound, and it's running at a reasonably tolerable speed for the most part. The problem is, the sensitivity of the control surface seems VERY high. I'll try to turn my ship and find I've spun almost 360 degrees. It's very, very hard to control.

I was wondering if there's any way to decrease the sensitivity of my joystick, or if this is actually a side effect of the game running to fast. Moslo wasn't any help, either.

Reply 2 of 6, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems that WC1 is not an easy game to run under Windows 2000/XP, even with VDMSound. You can have more luck if you get a copy of the Windows-compatible versions of WC1 and WC2 that are part of the Wing Commander: The Kilrathy Saga package.

You can also take a look at Adandon Loader. There is an article at Wing Commander CIC with some encouraging news about it. Anway, remember that Abandon Loader needs VDMSound, so make sure you have version 2.1.0 installed.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 6, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What operating system are you running, and which joystick do you have? We've seen some problems with certain joysticks before, maybe we could get some more info about yours.

By the way, can you calibrate your joystick under the Control Panel?

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 6, by SoulSkorpion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The joystick is some generic, crappy Microsoft two-button joystick, my OS is XP home edition, and I can configure the joystick from the control panel.

By the way, I tried recalibrating it by moving the stick in small circles (as opposed to the whole range) but this didn't work (I think it would have made it worse. Oh well.)

Reply 6 of 6, by SoulSkorpion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi... sorry to revive this again after so late. Uh... I don't suppose anyone's thought of anything?

For that matter, has anyone ever been able to get WC1 to work on a modern PC, under any circumstances?