VOGONS

Common searches

MS-DOS Tricks and Stuff

Topic actions

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a document I wrote to, well, document some things I learned how to do in the years I've owned an old-school gaming rig (its a Windows 98 computer, but most of the stuff here involves DOS). Please excuse me if a lot of this info is redundant or is already common knowledge, I simply wanted to place this somewhere where I would never lose it and where other people who might want it can see it.

I'm assuming that most people reading this actually have a fair amount of computer knowledge, so I won't explain basics (if requested, I can make a more newbie-friendly version). What I will explain, is:

-How to make your computer boot into DOS by default
-How to configure DOS to give you a boot menu at startup
-How to run almost all CD-ROM games without the CD, IN MS-DOS
-The recurring factors that are behind nearly every MS-DOS game that doesn't work right. (Coming soon)

But first I'll start off my describing some essential tools:

-------------------------------------------------
1. BOOT INTO DOS BY DEFAULT (On a Win98 Machine)
-------------------------------------------------

You basically just have to edit the msdos.sys file so that the line "bootgui=1" instead reads "bootgui=0" You have to disable its read-only, hidden, and system file status (very easy to do), make the edit, then re-enable those statuses. Easy.

-----------------------------------
2. MAKE A BOOT OPTIONS MENU IN DOS
-----------------------------------

Pull out an editor, any editor (I prefer Norton Commander).

First, add these lines to the AUTOEXEC.BAT:
----
goto %config%

:noopts
goto end

:someopts
echo There'd be some options here if you added any!
goto end

:end
----

Now add these lines to your CONFIG.SYS:

----
[menu]
menucolor=7,0
menuitem=noopts,Insert Colorful Description Here
menuitem=someopts,The Programmer Is a Smartass
menudefault=noopts,25

[noopts]

[someopts]
Device=C:\DOS\Himem.sys
Files=90
----

Now restart your computer and see what happens.

Congratulations, you've gotten the general idea.

The main points to keep in mind are:

For AUTOEXEC.BAT:

Configs are designated with that double-dot thing ( :likethis ) and the last line should ALWAYS be "goto end." :end of course is empty. That tells autoexec that its done. :end should always be at the bottom.

For CONFIG.SYS:

Configs are always designated with [brackets] and are always correlated to the autoexec of the same name (except for [menu]). There must be one [this] for every :this that the autoexec.bat has. Under [menu] there must be one menuitem=this,Description for every :this.

I don't believe there's an upper limit on how many :this and [that] you can have. On my own comp, I have eight different configs, including :noopts which is my "I don't want this computer to accidentally fire my death ray just because I got a phone call at boot-up" option.

---------------------------------------------------
3. RUNNING CD-ROM GAMES WITHOUT THE CD (in MS-DOS)
---------------------------------------------------

This requires that SHSUCD package. Get this at: http://adoxa.110mb.com/shsucdx/

Unzip it to C:\CDROM

Also, a caveat: This method is no good for games that have CD audio tracks, or games with multiple CDs (or at least, I haven't found a way to work it yet). For those, you're better off just using the actual disks.

First, fish out a CD-ROM game.

The SHSUCD package should include a program called OMI. This simply creates an ISO of the CD. In all honesty, I love it so much that its the main reason I use Dosbox on my laptop. But enough gushing. All you have to do is run it and it'll create the ISO and automatically generate a name (based on the CD label, so you might have to rename it).

I like to put the resulting ISO in my C:\GAMES directory. Take the actual game out of the drive and tuck it safely away.

Now for the next step: NORMALLY to make your CD-ROM drive work in DOS, you need to have lines like this:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
----
LH=C:\CDROM\SHSUCDX.COM /D:MSCD001

CONFIG.SYS
----
Device=C:\DOS\himem.sys
Devicehigh=C:\CDROM\vide-cdd.sys /D:MSCD001

For what we're going to do, you'll need to create an alternate boot with the Autoexec.bat line removed (the config.sys should be left unchanged). Yes, you're loading DOS with your CD-ROM drive only half-loaded.

For this example, let's assume that the ISO is called daggerfa.iso (remember, eight-character MS-DOS limit) and that its in C:\GAMES. What you need to do now is go to C:\CDROM and create a batch file. Let's call it "daggerfa.bat" (the filenames don't have to match, it just makes it easier to remember).

The batch file will read like this:
----
shsucdhd /F:C:\GAMES\daggerfa.iso
LH=C:\CDROM\SHSUCDX.COM /D:SHSU-CDH

Now run it.

Afterwards, try going to your D: drive. Earlier I instructed you to remove all CDs from the drives, but clearly you are now exploring a CD. Actually, you're exploring the ISO, but your computer THINKS its a CD, and it functions exactly like a CD (save in one way: It is much, MUCH faster). All thanks to the magic of some piece of freeware on the internet.

In my own game library, I own "The Elder Scrolls: Arena" and "The Dig," two games that actually don't have an "install to hard drive" option and thus almost require you to do this. Even for games that merely do a CD-check though (like Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition) it is very useful.

-----------------------
I'm still working on the "things to look for if your game doesn't work" section. I'll post it soon!

Last edited by EdmondDantes on 2010-09-17, 00:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you really shouldn'T associate Vogons with abandonware sites through a tutorial here...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 21, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sorry, what?

What part of this post "associates Vogons with Abandonware"?

There's only two links, and they're both to Freeware. Everything else assumes you have the product legally.

Reply 3 of 21, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't think it's difficult to spot the source of Dominus' objection:

EdmondDantes wrote:

Before doing anything else, get the following:

1. Norton Commander. Should be available on an Abandonware site somewhere.

Though vague and not specific, you've suggested the above as a way to obtain copyrighted software, and it's frowned upon on these forums. You've also implied that obtaining said software is important for following the rest of your guide, and it really isn't.

Reply 4 of 21, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, I see. I'll edit that line then.

EDIT: Actually, I wound up deleting the entire "Prep Time" section, since the only thing mentioned there that was at all material to the rest was the part about SHSUCD (which I moved to the appropriate section).

Reply 5 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks, any op may cleanse this thread now of the abandonware talk 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 21, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I've come back with some updates!

Okay, first:

-----------------------------------------------------
Running CD Games Without the CD-Addendum
-----------------------------------------------------

One thing I wasn't aware of when I last posted: There are some games out there where you have to install from the actual CD, but once you've done that you can do the trick I posted and it'll work fine. One example I know of is System Shock.

Which brings me to:

---------------------------------------------------------------
The First Thing To Look For When a Game Won't Work
---------------------------------------------------------------

Let's assume you made the perfect configuration, that has all the necessary drivers (and uses those RAM-saving freeware ones) and command parameters loaded to maximize your memory, in a system that is above and beyond what your game actually needs.

But it still won't run, or if it does it keeps giving you a weird error the cause of which you can't fathom. I ran into this sitch several times with my 500 MHz desktop, and, well, you won't believe it:

Often, the problem is simply that the computer is running too fast.

No, I'm serious. Most people only look for this as the solution if the game seems to be running abnormally fast (like the early Ultima games do), but in fact "too fast" is the cause of 99% of the problem with playing old games, and can even affect situations where it seems like it would have nothing to do with the problem.

Case in point: I own the CD-ROM edition Flashback: The Quest for Identity, which for a long time wouldn't recognize my sound card except on certain days (and then would lock up if I ever ran the game with sound enabled). I fixed the problem simply by disabling my CPU Cache. Yeah, what the heck does my comp speed have to do with my sound card, right? And oddly enough the ability to use my sound card seems to be the only thing affected--the actual game plays at the same speed regardless.

More recently, I've been playing System Shock (the enhanced CD-ROM version) and kept getting crashes every thirty minutes, which at first I thought was a memory error, then I tried this solution, and that seems to have fixed it (note though, that I need to run more tests). Ultima Underworld, which uses the same 3D engine, works fine either way but also features some minor glitches that are fixed by disabling the CPU Cache (try swimming).

The best way to disable it, by the way, is to use the "cpucache" program that comes with Bret Johnson's Slowdown. Get it at http://bretjohnson.us It's better than actually poking around in your BIOS (which is what you need to do otherwise)

But yeah, the moral of the story is: If you're running a DOS game on an actual DOS computer (emulators like Dosbox are a different matter) and you have a game that should work but doesn't, try disabling the CPU Cache. It doesn't matter if that even makes sense, just do it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I'll continue if I end up with anything else to add.

Reply 8 of 21, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EdmondDantes wrote:

There are some games out there where you have to install from the actual CD, but once you've done that you can do the trick I posted and it'll work fine. One example I know of is System Shock.

For System Shock it depends on how the ISO was made. I used Magic ISO for my DOSBox install and found that 3 files were missing from the image.
"INITIAL.EXE"
"INI-MT.XMI "
"INI-SC.XMI "
There are 2 spaces after XMI. Magic ISO then couldn't open the image it created. I recently found that Alcohol 120% was able to make a good copy.

Reply 9 of 21, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

[1
"INI-SC.XMI "
There are 2 spaces after XMI.

That can be right the specs for dos are 8 characters for the filename and 3 characters for the extension .xmi with 2 spaces after it would be an illegal filename under dos

they could be some sort of copy protection but the filenames suggest they are for sound
INI-SC = Roland SC-55
INI-MT = Roland MT-32

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 21, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

the specs for dos are 8 characters for the filename and 3 characters for the extension .xmi with 2 spaces after it would be an illegal filename under dos

I am well aware of that. And yet when I open the disc in Windows the displayed name extends beyond the 3 letter extension. Let me know if your disc shows anything different. The files are located in 2 folders.
HD\SOUND\GENMIDI
HD\SOUND\SBLASTER

Davros wrote:

they could be some sort of copy protection

At first I thought my copy was defective. See this topic for my other post on it.

Reply 12 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really, as I never recall a situation where I needed to mount a fake cd let alone require the disk space for a typical cd image in an oldschool dos machine while I own actual discs

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 21, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
EdmondDantes wrote:

That sounds like just a good ol' mastering error honestly.

Incidentally I'm curious: Has this topic actually been helpful to anybody besides myself?

Yes, I found some of the tips useful. Thanks for posting.

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 16 of 21, by fraberj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, more to topic, I just DLDed DosBox and it mounts the "c:\DOS" directory I set up but I want to run Word Perfect 5.1 for DOS and I tried putting the "WP51" folder in there and typing "c:\wp51 (enter) to get into the folder then wp (enter) to execute and DOSBox lockeds up every time . Any ideas? (I think it needs and autoece.bat file and config.sys somewhere other than the "Main" one in Vista's DOS which won't run it & gets error MSG of: "Program too big to fit in memory". Need some help please... (I'm a DOS dunce newbie thar yack).

Reply 18 of 21, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EdmondDantes wrote:
Now add these lines to your CONFIG.SYS: […]
Show full quote

Now add these lines to your CONFIG.SYS:

----
[menu]
menucolor=7,0
menuitem=noopts,Insert Colorful Description Here
menuitem=someopts,The Programmer Is a Smartass
menudefault=noopts,25

[noopts]

[someopts]
Device=C:\DOS\Himem.sys
Files=90
----

Further to this, you can add a [common] section for statements you want to be used regardless of which menu item you select.

[menu]
menuitem=one,Sound+CD
menuitem=two,Sound w/o CD
menuitem=three,CD w/o Sound
menuitem=four,Neither

[common]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

[one]
DEVICE=C:\SB16\CTCM.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\UIDEJR.SYS /D:MSCD000

[two]
DEVICE=C:\SB16\CTCM.EXE

[three]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\UIDEJR.SYS /D:MSCD000

[four]

Reply 19 of 21, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
EdmondDantes wrote:

That sounds like just a good ol' mastering error honestly.

Incidentally I'm curious: Has this topic actually been helpful to anybody besides myself?

Thank you VERY much for this thread!

SHSUCD is just AMAZING. What I do with is, I make an ISO of my favourite games, put them on a DVD and take it my on vacations, instead of carrying a whole bunch of CD's!! It's Great! 😁

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.