Rank

ok this is my system:
AMD K6-2 550mhz
256mb PC133 Ram
ATI RAGE 128 PRO 32mb latest drivers
Creative Sound blaster 16 (ISA) stock windows 98 drivers
Windows 98SE

my issue:

I have these games on one CD, and when I install them with the install1.exe, and install2.exe it goes fine, then I try the start the game from the UW.bat or UW2.bat and all it does is hangs starting the game, then I try the alternate way of copying all the gamefiles to the C: drive and I get an error while installing saying my sound card isnt detected, then I try to run UWSOUND, and it says i need to run UINSTALL to select my sound card.

now with UW2 i get the same issues, and also I get an issue with the graphics on the main menu with everything black cept the words.

what do I have to do to get these games to work?

Reply 2 of 5, by gooface

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, I fixed the issue with UW with no sound it was because of the cfg file was set to readonly, but with UW2 I get the black main menu with non-black text, and when I press create character it crashes saying:

Underworld can no longer run. Error code A005.

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

for the CD versions you don't need the patches.
It could be that you need to set ALL the files and folders to read AND write. Maybe something went wrong on the copy over, a lot of dos games do not behave well when the files are read only.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 5, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would go with what Dominus said as that seems most likely.

Incidentally, what are you installing them from? I have the copies that were included on the Ultimate RPG Archives and they both install and play just fine on my PC, which has specs almost similar to yours.

Also, are you running them in pure DOS mode or are you running them from Windows?