VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by j--

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run Day of the Tentacle (CD-talkie version) in W2K with Dosbox and it runs just fine, except for the fact that I can't save. I tried looking through the forums for a solution but didn't find one.

I'm running Dosbox with

"D:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.60\dosbox.exe" g:\cemu\dott.bat -fullscreen

Where dott.bat mounts my cd-rom to drive d: in Dosbox and starts DOTT

[dott.bat's contents]
mount d h:\ -t cdrom
d:
dott.exe

The configuration program that dott.exe starts is able to create the directory dott.cd in dosbox's c: drive and dott.ini in that directory. But after I start DOTT from the configuration program, I'm unable to save in the game, it says something along the lines of "No save. Disk full?".

Any ideas, anyone?

Reply 2 of 12, by j--

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not trying to save on a cdrom, the save files in dott go to c:\dott.cd\

EDIT: Or more importantly, that's where they're supposed to go and that's where they went back in the day with my 486 running the game.

Reply 4 of 12, by j--

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

by your first command ->
savegames go to g:\cemu\dott.cd\

Well, yes, that's where they're supposed to go. But for some reason the game says that it can't save, so obviously they're not going there.

EDIT: I found out what was wrong, the game itself was trying to save on the cd, when it's supposed to save in c:\dott.cd\ so I just copied the cd on my harddrive so the game can save wherever it wants. It's just a workaround, though. It would be nice to be able to play without having to copy the cd to my harddrive 🙁

Last edited by j-- on 2003-10-21, 13:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah. Well. I don't have the cdversion of DOTT so i don't know what the game tries the moment it wants to save.

But it's probably a bug in the dosbox code somewhere.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 12, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is it just me or does anyone else find it strange why people don't choose the best tools for the job?

SCUMMVM is the best bet for Lucasarts (& now some others) adventure games. Don't get me wrong, DOSBox is a fantastic piece of software just I go with whatever works best!

Reply 9 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Reckless I agree. But it should run okay in DOSbox as well.

(else how will the scummvm people be able to play it (when they don't support it or want to see if they do it correctly)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 12, by Ender

User metadata
Rank Site Admin
Rank
Site Admin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Qbix
Reckless I agree. But it should run okay in DOSbox as well.

(else how will the scummvm people be able to play it (when they don't support it or want to see if they do it correctly)
/QUOTE]

Indeed, as most of us use DOSbox to verify bugs and 'stuff'. Having Harekiet around to bop on the head helps too. *cough*

Anyhow. DOSbox is good, but for supported games I (unsuprisingly :) recommend ScummVM simply because we support each of the games it runs. DOSbox is far more generic, complex, and emulating a hell of a lot more than we are... so it's harder to track down behavior problems - not that there are many.

-- Ender
Project Leader,
http://www.scummvm.org/

Reply 11 of 12, by j--

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

He isn't mounting a C drive, or if he is, it is the CD.

Umm, what? I'm mounting g:\cemu\ as c: in dosbox. And g: is one of my harddisks, not a cd, if that's what you're implying.

@The people who posted about ScummVM:
Yeah, I just found out about ScummVM from a friend and it seems to run DOTT just fine.

Reply 12 of 12, by Tricrokra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All DOS CD-ROM games from LucasArts (which DOTT appears to be), automaticly write their savegames to C:\<gamename>.CD

Importnat is to mount C: as a local drive... If there's no C: drive, the game will not be able to save as the game wants a harddisk, which it thinks it doesn't exist

(if C: is the CD-ROM drive it will try to save to the CD-ROM drive)...

There's no exception to this rule. An option to change the directory to store savegames, appears to be there, but I never got it to work on my old DOS-computer, so I doubt that will work in DOSBOX...

Cut short, mounting a local drive as "C" should solve the problem...

Please visit my site