VOGONS

Common searches

Monkey Island 1 in real DOS?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by posix_memalign

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm unable to get Monkey Island 1 working on a P1.

Upon execution of the binary "monkey.exe" I get this error printed in the console:

"run-time error R6003
- integer divide by 0"

The program then has terminated and left DOS in a low resolution mode which I have to revert with "mode co80" or equivalent.

Is any of this familiar? Any ideas on how I can get this game working?

The system is as follows:

Pentium 1 233 MHz
RAM: 512 MiB
Sound card: Sound Blaster AWE32

It has no other issues that I'm aware of except unable to get the sound working properly in certain games, such as Jill of the Jungle.

Reply 4 of 23, by posix_memalign

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Did you install the TSRs? Do you have a SET BLASTER line?

AWE32 is only slightly more complicated to set up than the earlier SB lines

Indeed I did, the system has no known issues with the sound card. The sound card works in the vast majority of games. The AWE32 has a NEC XR385 general MIDI daughterboard (DB60XG Rev. B) attached, although I cannot imagine why that should make a difference. Nevertheless, I have sound in nearly every game I've tried, I can only think of one game where the sound is not working, which is Jill of the Jungle.

I tried with the "game blaster" argument for the monkey.exe program as well as the "adlib" argument. Game blaster produces a nasty noise artifact instead of actual sound/music whereas the adlib option causes a crash akin to the one I got prior to patching the program. PC speaker works fine.

I also tried to install the Roland patch just to see if it would make a difference, but there was no noticeable difference.

Reply 7 of 23, by posix_memalign

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Try disabling L1 and L2 cache in Bios.

I tried this and the result was that the with "game blaster" there is still mere artifacts instead of actual sound.
With "adlib" the game now starts instead of crashing, but there is no sound, not even static.

Reply 9 of 23, by posix_memalign

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

I could only get my old SB32 pnp, which is very similar to the AWE32, in pure DOS by installing Windows 3.xx drivers.

I actually have Windows 3.11 installed and working, my AWE32 works perfectly fine in Windows 3.11 as well.

Does Monkey Island 1 work on your SB32 (I assume you're using a real DOS computer and not just dosbox or some other form of emulation)?

Reply 11 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
posix_memalign wrote:

I see, perhaps the system is too fast even with both caches disabled.

Disabling L1 Cache cripples any Pentium.

I tried SB 1.5, SB 2.0, SB Pro 2.0, AWE64, AWE 64 Gold, ESS AudioDrive and PAS 16 with Monkey Island, and they all work fine.

Tested on a Pentium 200 MMX with L1 cache disabled.

Reply 12 of 23, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't recall running Monkey Island on that system, but after I installed everything in Win 3.11 everything else started to work properly. Before that, nothing was working at all outside Windows 95. Oh, and by that time I only had the 16 colour version of Monkey Island as well.

Reply 15 of 23, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rekrul wrote:

I know it's none of my business, but I just have to ask;

Why would anyone go through all that work to get Monkey Island to play in DOS when you can just use ScummVM?

Because-
*Marvin Gaye voice here*
"When I get that feelin' I need Retro-DOS healin'! Retro-DOS...healinnnn'..." 😎

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 16 of 23, by posix_memalign

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rekrul wrote:

Why would anyone go through all that work to get Monkey Island to play in DOS when you can just use ScummVM?

Isn't it obvious? To increase the nostalgia factor.

While most of the old games I play are genuine works of art that can stand the test of time and still be fun even today had I not already been familiar with the game. However the nostalgia factor is quite profound and makes it just so much better.

Playing an old game in an emulator on a modern computer is not quite the same as playing it on an old computer.

Although not quite as profound it is somewhat akin to the difference of playing SNES on a real SNES machine on a TV and playing SNES emulated on e.g. ZSNES on some modern x86.
Even though SCUMMVM and ZSNES are very well written they can never mimic the entire nostalgic experience.

Reply 18 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rekrul wrote:

Because this is a vintage gaming forum and most of us here have the original machines that these games used to run on when they were new. 🙄

Reply 19 of 23, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the speed issues are resolved then check if you have correctly set up mt32 emulation via aweutil. AFAIK Monkey 1 non-CD versions do not reprogram the MT-32 so you can get very good emulation in theory. Load up the default mt-32 soundfont or a better replacement.

Also, make sure that you set P330 in the "set blaster=" line in autoexec.bat.

and launch the game this way:

monkey.exe v mo r

Hope this will work for you.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."