VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 92vetter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a sound blaster LIVE card in my machine that I would like
to use to play some old DOS games. I have loaded all the SB16 emulation drivers and it seems to work just fine. All the diagnostics work and the games will all detect the card. What doesn't work is my digital speakers. Although the card appears to work from a software standpoint I get no sound from my digital speakers. I can connect a set of analog speakers to the card and I get sound.

As such I know that my card is configured properly and workinging. My digital speakers work just fine in windows so I know they work as well. Is there just some switch I have to set on the DOS level drivers to enable digital output?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't understand you fully but you must know that VDMSound doesn't require any "emulation" software. It just redirects all ms-dos sound output to a working DirectSound drivers. If DirectSound is working right, there shouldn't be anything that would avoid you from using VDMSound. Everything else is "virtualized", that is, port, dma and irqs don't need to match your physical card ones. Check VDMSound config file too see what are the SB values (i think defaults are port 220, irq 7, dma 1). You should select these on the game configuration. Then launch the game using the appropiate VDMSound shortcut.

Reply 2 of 7, by 92vetter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running in raw DOS mode. Any of the games that will actually run under windows have sound that works just fine. Some of the games just run a lot better without the windows overhead in the background.

Reply 4 of 7, by SoulSkorpion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd also like to know how to get sound working under DOS. I've got some kind of SB16 emulation drivers, but they can't find the card. This might be a silly question, but: do you actually need a Sound Blaster card of some description for the SB16 emulator drivers to do anything?

Reply 5 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If i have understood correctly the short answer is NO. You only need working windows drivers regardless what physical sound card is present. The "emulation" software fools your apps/games into believing they have a SB card available or Midi or whatever.

EDIT: I am talking about running ms-dos games from within windows, that is. Don't get confused with running ms-dos games using native ms-dos (via a bootdisk for instance). That is a different story. You need a soundcard with NATIVE ms-dos support in ms-dos. Nowadays they are few and hard to find and most ms-dos emulations just suxx.

Reply 6 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 16 bit emulator driver for the Live card does work in pure DOS, though this driver does not seem to work with the newer Live cards. Creative has dropped DOS support. I got my Audigy when it first came out and the 9x driver had the DOS driver, but the Audigy II drivers do not include the DOS driver.

Reply 7 of 7, by SoulSkorpion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

If i have understood correctly the short answer is NO. You only need working windows drivers regardless what physical sound card is present. The "emulation" software fools your apps/games into believing they have a SB card available or Midi or whatever.

EDIT: I am talking about running ms-dos games from within windows, that is. Don't get confused with running ms-dos games using native ms-dos (via a bootdisk for instance). That is a different story. You need a soundcard with NATIVE ms-dos support in ms-dos. Nowadays they are few and hard to find and most ms-dos emulations just suxx.

Yes, I'm talking about running under true DOS. Well, DOSoid. something like DOS. I've got very little idea what it actually is, but it is, well, this. I'm not certain exactly what my sound card is, but I thiiink it's VIA something-or-other.