VOGONS

Common searches

Tyrian 2000 retail CD format

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi All,

could anyone who has the Tyrian 2000 /retail/ CD with audio tracks please explain how to get CD audio work with this game. In the setup, I can see soundcards and MIDI ports only - no CD audio tracks... ???

Is this really a mixed mode CD as stated in the readme (1st track: data, subsequent tracks: redbook audio) OR a CD-XA (audio tracks first, last track is data) ?

I tried changing drive letters from D to Z under BOTH Windows 98 and DOS but in the game the CD won't spin up. 😕

Last edited by Jolaes76 on 2011-06-26, 11:26. Edited 1 time in total.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 3 of 11, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

retro games 100,
The HiFi plays the audio tracks correctly. So it is a mixed mode CD after all...
Now I have set up an image for DosBox (cue/bin format) by its "imgmount" command. Still I have no CD audio (unless one of the "soundcard" options in the setup means CD audio but I think it is pretty straightforward, only FM and MIDI appears.

leileilol,
I don't think the CD audio sounds worse than the MIDI tracks - but perhaps you have better MIDI equipment than mine and the difference is greater.

Reply 7 of 11, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks leileilol!

You spared me from more futile experiments.

It was the readme files that mislead me (both of version 1.0 and version 3.0) - they claim that a PC can play the redbook audio etc... I interpreted that as "when playing the game, controlled / launched by Tyrian.exe". To increase the confusion, the publisher also stated that the soundtrack is available on a separate audio CD as well...

Reply 10 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well that's too bad. Dosbox is for games. It is not intended for business and IT crap.
Deal with the billing in something else like a supported professional virtual machine, such as VirtualBox and VMWare. Relying on a emulator for games to do your financial deeds is foolish at best.

And don't freaking hijack a topic. You didn't make a spectactular first impression by IT software complaining but you have to derail a game topic too that doesn't even have anything to do with dosbox!?

apsosig.png
long live PCem