VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by singhalong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The first game from Jordan Mechner, called Prince of Persia, was released, I think, in 1989. The sound-track/background sound when playing this game was what I liked a lot. I played the game during 1989 - 1991 and the computers of that time were very low on memory etc. compared to today's computers.
Recently, when I tried to play the game again, I was told it would
only play with dosbox. I installed dosbox, played and realized immediately, that the background sound (when picking up the sword, running, opening of the gates etc. etc.) had all changed totally playing with dosbox!
All I'm trying to find out is, how to be able to play the old game with the old, original sound.
Are there settings in dosbox that I have to tweak to get the original sound?
Hope this helps you isolate my problem.
Thanks and hope you have a suggestion for me.
😀

Reply 1 of 8, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try starting the game with the sblast parameter, to enable soundblaster sound.

eg at the command prompt:

PRINCE SBLAST

The game also supports other sound devices like covox, tandy etc so if you were originally playing on a machine with one of those devices they will sound different.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With DOSBox it plays Sound Blaster by default. So maybe when you played it back in the day you only had PC speaker?

You can force the PC speaker sound with this Game. Version 1.3 of Prince of Persia comes with a setup menu so you can configure the sound card.

In general the Sound Blaster sound is pretty good. I believe version 1.3 does support Sound Blaster and Roland MT-32. But not 100% sure!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 8, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is another way to force pc speaker sound. The game has 2 files for that (ibm_snd1.dat and ibm_snd2.dat) , and 2 files for adlib/sb sound (midisnd1.dat and midisnd2.dat). If you have a sound card, it will play those midisnd files by default. So what you can do to have pc speaker sound, is to delete the midisnd 1 and 2 and rename the ibm_snd1.dat and ibm_snd2.dat to midisnd1.dat and midisnd2.dat.

Reply 4 of 8, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Prince of Persia wasn't Mechner's first game.. but in any case, if you have even the slightest interest in gaming history, read his journals from the time he was developing the game, posted here: http://jordanmechner.com/old-journals/

http://iki.fi/sol - my schtuphh

Reply 5 of 8, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recall it was fun watching his younger brother wired up with motion detectors, sommersaulting and fencing and the rest 😀

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 6 of 8, by singhalong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😁
Thanks all for your help.
It works now after installing v 1.3 with the set-up option.
Thanks for that suggestion Mau1wurf1977 mate!
Best wishes to all.
Happy Gaming.
😁

Reply 7 of 8, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jolaes76 wrote:

I recall it was fun watching his younger brother wired up with motion detectors, sommersaulting and fencing and the rest 😀

No motion detectors. Just VHS video. This was old tech, and he was rotoscoping - and even back then that was high tech.

http://iki.fi/sol - my schtuphh