VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 23, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kurkosdr wrote:
Barry_Purplelips wrote:

Again, 3D Game or not, there's no emulator capable of outperforming DosBox.

This is what i find perplexing. How its possible for a full emulator (DOSBox) to beat a virtualizer (VirtualBox) in terms of performance?

Books say that virtualizers (VirtualBox) beat full emulators (DOSBox) in terms of petformance.

You asked for an emulator, not virtualization, so that's what I recommended. Any virtualization software that allows native execution should be faster than DosBox, but on Win7 64bit, forget about DOS stuff.

Reply 22 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Also make up your mind. Dos applications or games? Huge difference and performance isn't as important as compatibility...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 23 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kurkosdr wrote:
Barry_Purplelips wrote:

Again, 3D Game or not, there's no emulator capable of outperforming DosBox.

This is what i find perplexing. How its possible for a full emulator (DOSBox) to beat a virtualizer (VirtualBox) in terms of performance?

Books say that virtualizers (VirtualBox) beat full emulators (DOSBox) in terms of petformance.

DOSBox is not a full DOS environment. It is optimized towards running games only and does not emulate any part of DOS that is not needed to make games work. That's why it is faster than a full on virtual machine, it doesn't do anything it doesn't need to do so it runs the things that it does do extremely fast.