VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by L Michaels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz in a pentium III PC running Windows ME. There's a legacy sound support program that comes with it that's supposed to allow you to run old games and programs that worked with OPL2/3 chips or old Soundblaster cards. When I try to use it, I have some weird things happen. For example, for every note it plays, instead of playing a single note, it plays intermittently so that you hear the note continue to turn on and off, instead of one smooth sound coming out. I just tried playing a music program under DOSBox and got the exact same effect when I tried to play notes using it instead of the legacy support program. If the information helps any, my card's set at IRQ 5. Sounds works great if you use Windows drivers, but any DOS applications or programs that try to directly work with OPL3 chips, get that weird effect when the legacy support program is running and don't work at all without the support. If anyone has any clues on how to get better support for sound for DOS applications using the Santa Cruz card, I'd appreciated hearing about them.

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 7, by L Michaels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does VDMSound work on a Windows ME machine? I'd looked at the web site for it before and I thought from the info there it only ran on Windows NT/Windows 2000.

I suppose I could always do without the sound on the older programs. I was just wondering if anyone may have had a similar problem and fixed it or had any clues on how to go about debugging/correcting it.

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well officially there is a alpha version of vdmsound for win98. I thought it might help you with win ME.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 7, by L Michaels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the Windows 98 version of VDMSound. Unfortunately, it didn't work any better. Thanks for the suggestion though. Maybe a future version will work someday (or I'll get a new sound card eventually).

Reply 6 of 7, by L Michaels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Snover wrote:
> If it didn't work any better then you've got a rather serious problem, >heh

As far as running old programs with sound, I think I do. The card works fine with Windows programs using Windows drivers. I had a Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer card before I bought the Turtle Beach card. I could not get it to run at all (for Windows or DOS programs) in my current system. (Still have an unused X-Gamer card and its box sitting around in storage collecting dust.) Guess I should just be happy I have sound working on my system in Windows.