VOGONS

Common searches

Reelmagic/Realmagic MPEG games

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 133, by sndtst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see from this REMOVED entry: REMOVED that a RealMagic version of Space Pirates exists somewhere however the uploader didn't include an ISO or .bin/.cue. Does anyone know where this file could be found?

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-01-13, 19:26. Edited 2 times in total.

A Sound Test for as many games as I can find at SNDTST.com

Reply 102 of 133, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sndtst wrote on 2023-01-13, 05:49:

I see from this REMOVED entry: REMOVED that a RealMagic version of Space Pirates exists somewhere however the uploader didn't include an ISO or .bin/.cue. Does anyone know where this file could be found?

In both cases the uploader promised to upload the missing info, and that was April of '21.

/Shrug

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-01-13, 19:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 103 of 133, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
exofreeze wrote on 2023-01-13, 12:57:
sndtst wrote on 2023-01-13, 05:49:

In both cases the uploader promised to upload the missing info, and that was April of '21.

/Shrug

Yes, I tried to find a contact but I couldn't. It would be nice to find some way to ask him to see if there's any news.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-01-13, 19:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 105 of 133, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please talk about where to locate and download so called "abandonware" copies of software elsewhere, thanks.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 106 of 133, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
exofreeze wrote on 2023-01-13, 03:50:

What bothers me is that unlike the other American Laser games, that one didn't even have a base DOS port. So it seems odd they would have gone to the trouble of making a version for DOS... that only used the reel magic card.

If there was evidence of the game being ported to *anything* other than the CDi, I would feel differently.

But yes, I would love to be wrong. But if it does exist, it is incredibly rare. Which means anyone who has it that also cares about preservation should be concerned about getting it dumped

Not only do I have it - I have 2 copies. One jewel case, and one sealed box that I paid way too much for. I will dump it for sure, but I am constantly dumping things and it takes me time to get these things done. I dumped Conspiracy MPEG and RTZ MPEG originally, but things take me time.

Reply 107 of 133, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Uka wrote on 2022-05-13, 15:37:

Thanks!
About Conspiracy - it has just been recovered now!!!

What I was able to find (on Archive.org) appears to be a development build of Conspiracy MPEG, do you know if this game was ever commercially released (or bundled), or was it cancelled somewhere at the end of its development stage? Thanks!

Reply 108 of 133, by Uka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sndwv wrote on 2023-03-16, 18:22:

What I was able to find (on Archive.org) appears to be a development build of Conspiracy MPEG, do you know if this game was ever commercially released (or bundled), or was it cancelled somewhere at the end of its development stage? Thanks!

That does look somewhat unfinished, yes - but at least it works on the RealMagic system, in difference from "Entity" that was never completed and released commercially (and requires some patching).
"Conspiracy MPEG" was advertized as available in catalogs and on Sigma Design's web site, and I have the cover.

Cover.jpg
Filename
Cover.jpg
File size
17.91 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

However I think that only Hammer can actually prove it was indeed released commercially!

Reply 109 of 133, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Uka wrote on 2023-03-16, 19:04:
That does look somewhat unfinished, yes - but at least it works on the RealMagic system, in difference from "Entity" that was ne […]
Show full quote
sndwv wrote on 2023-03-16, 18:22:

That does look somewhat unfinished, yes - but at least it works on the RealMagic system, in difference from "Entity" that was never completed and released commercially (and requires some patching).
"Conspiracy MPEG" was advertized as available in catalogs and on Sigma Design's web site, and I have the cover.
Cover.jpg
However I think that only Hammer can actually prove it was indeed released commercially!

What do you mean - it's on Mobygames. Just the jewel case so far, but I do have the box somewhere too.

Reply 110 of 133, by Uka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hammer wrote on 2023-03-20, 02:24:

What do you mean - it's on Mobygames. Just the jewel case so far, but I do have the box somewhere too.

Why, as you can see some people still doubt its existence.
I do not have any doubts (except that they did release a somewhat unpolished version) - but then I do not have scans to show as proofs as you do 😀

By the way - have you tested "Return to Cyber City" in DOSBox with RM support, did it work? Can you please share it?

Reply 111 of 133, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It was me who doubted it's existence 😉. Because the contents of the iso floating around on Archive.org seemed unfinished / dev build-y, and the only box scan I could find could have been anything, including advertising material. But thanks for the Mobygames tip, hadn't seen it there yet. And the fact that you actually own one of course.

That still leaves open if the files on Archive.org are from this actual commercial disc or somewhere else. Unless you were also the one who provided these?

Reply 112 of 133, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sndwv wrote on 2023-03-20, 14:19:

It was me who doubted it's existence 😉. Because the contents of the iso floating around on Archive.org seemed unfinished / dev build-y, and the only box scan I could find could have been anything, including advertising material. But thanks for the Mobygames tip, hadn't seen it there yet. And the fact that you actually own one of course.

That still leaves open if the files on Archive.org are from this actual commercial disc or somewhere else. Unless you were also the one who provided these?

I did not provide anything to archive.org...

Reply 113 of 133, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It will pop up one day if a true clean copy is out there. I've got a whole team keeping an eye out for it, and some other titles.

The jewelcase on Moby is simply not enough to prove anything. I have seen all sorts of false leads. The Black Dahlia game box straight up says it supports MS-DOS in the system requirements, which led to it being included as a DOS game for years. *Inside* the box, however, was a small printed piece of paper stating the DOS version had been cut at the last second. Which didn't surprise me at all, as it was 8 CD's full of quicktime movies. To my knowledge, there is no DOS based quicktime player, which means another 6-8 CD's full of DOS video.

Either way, given time and patience, it will show up one day. Took 15 years, but Thunder in Paradise for MS-DOS finally reared it's ugly head not so long ago.

Reply 114 of 133, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
exofreeze wrote on 2023-03-20, 14:52:

It will pop up one day if a true clean copy is out there. I've got a whole team keeping an eye out for it, and some other titles.

The jewelcase on Moby is simply not enough to prove anything. I have seen all sorts of false leads. The Black Dahlia game box straight up says it supports MS-DOS in the system requirements, which led to it being included as a DOS game for years. *Inside* the box, however, was a small printed piece of paper stating the DOS version had been cut at the last second. Which didn't surprise me at all, as it was 8 CD's full of quicktime movies. To my knowledge, there is no DOS based quicktime player, which means another 6-8 CD's full of DOS video.

Either way, given time and patience, it will show up one day. Took 15 years, but Thunder in Paradise for MS-DOS finally reared it's ugly head not so long ago.

What do you mean it will show up? I have it. I am also the guy who dumped Thunder in Paradise, by the way. 😀

Reply 115 of 133, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, if you've got it, then hopefully one day it will show up.

All I know is I've seen mention of it being around for like 3 years, but nothing has actually popped up. It's not that I don't trust you, I just don't know you. I have people over in my discord claim to own things all the time that never pan out. Having spent over 15 years hunting down DOS games, I've learned to not believe something exists 100% until I've got it in hand or I have seen it running.

Reply 116 of 133, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
exofreeze wrote on 2023-03-20, 15:07:

Well, if you've got it, then hopefully one day it will show up.

All I know is I've seen mention of it being around for like 3 years, but nothing has actually popped up. It's not that I don't trust you, I just don't know you. I have people over in my discord claim to own things all the time that never pan out. Having spent over 15 years hunting down DOS games, I've learned to not believe something exists 100% until I've got it in hand or I have seen it running.

Uka has a copy. Uka, can you please weigh in. Is it the same version as on archive.org?

Exofreeze, unfortunately I cannot play the damned thing, although I have played the videos and I think one of them is linked elsewhere on this thread. I'm patiently waiting/hoping that it can be made to work with Dosbox.

Reply 117 of 133, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My project is working directly with a build of dosbox that has implemented, and expanded upon, the reelmagic implementation. If it does not work with the existing structure, then having the files to test and see what is wrong would be key to getting it to work.

Uka seems to differ to you on the existence of the copy you have?

Reply 118 of 133, by Uka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hammer wrote on 2023-03-20, 15:11:

Uka has a copy. Uka, can you please weigh in. Is it the same version as on archive.org?

Of course it is! The ISO you have dumped is on Archive.org.
It works on the real old computer with ReelMagic card, but not in DOSBox yet.
I have shown the video here!

Reply 119 of 133, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wait... so the iso on archive is the same as the one hammer has?

The comment above sounds like the archive.org version is unfinished? So it would be surprising that it is the same as the pressed copy that hammer has.