VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kjps86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a hard time getting the sound to function on my Nascar Racing CD. I've ripped it to a bin/cue pair and added it to my dosroot folder (I use DBGL, though I've also tried all of the commands running from plain old DOSBox, just in case the frontend was causing compatibility issues).

After mounting the image, I ran setup.exe from the root directory of the CD. It errors out after switching to "win SETUP.EXE" and says "Illegal command: win". I then tried running setup.exe in D:\NASCAR\setup.exe. It works, though the autodetect of the soundcard doesn't function properly; in the setup program at least the sound is audible, crisp, and generally just fine. When exiting the program, however, it asks if I'd like to save but doesn't actually save anything. Even when I don't have it exit automatically afterwards it doesn't save anything. Running NASCAR.EXE from D:\NASCAR (with or without the -h parameter to enable the SVGA mode) there is never ANY sound whatsoever.

I'm really not sure what the issue is here. The game runs perfectly with the exception of the lack of sound. One hint I found on a Youtube video of gameplay advised me to change the sound emulator to SBPRO2 but that didn't make a difference. I've toyed with the DOSBox settings, alternating between max and auto cycles settings, memsize settings, sound settings, and so on but it has made no difference. At the moment, the only setting that is not the default is the cycles setting, which is set at max.

Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 4, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

win setup is not a valid dos command
it would be 2 commands
win - which would start windows 3.1 (maybe even 95)
setup - wich would start setup.exe

d:\setup - what drive is d: ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 4, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

win setup is not a valid dos command

It is if you have win3x installed, some installers/setup programs use that when you start their
program in dos but they want to be run in windows ("setup" will be started in windows then).

Reply 3 of 4, by kjps86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I got it working, but only after I transferred the contents of the bin/cue to a file on my hard drive and did away with the image mounting and whatever. I figured since DOSBox wouldn't save the settings to what it thought was a CD that I would see if it would save it to a config file in a folder. It worked, and now the game plays perfectly with sound and everything.

Sorry to trouble you all, and thanks for the responses.

Reply 4 of 4, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

your problem was you were trying to play the game from the cd not the hdd
and it looks like your still not doing it properly
you need to actually install the game to your hdd is there an install.exe

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness