VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody. Long time no post.

Anyway, I have been having trouble getting sierra demos to work properly. When I start them up, they use PC speaker for music and SB for sound effects/dialog.

Is there anything special I need for my dosbox configuration?

I have tried setting the sound card to SBpro1, sb1, etc.

I have a similar issue with the Star Trek 25th anniversary demo by interplay (I think I mentioned that a while ago too)

I've zipped up a good chunk of those sierra non-playable demos for you to play with if you'd like to help me.

Thanks again!

http://www.mediafire.com/?1ozrdww5qromi99

Reply 1 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The demos are currently configured for speaker music, so switch to each demo directory and run INSTALL.EXE to choose from the available audio options.

Also, your archive has read-only attributes on all the files, and you'll want to remove that from at least the RESOURCE.CFG files so they can be modified by the install programs.

Reply 2 of 4, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahhh. Okay. They were from a CD. I don't know why Sierra ever put them on the disc like that without being able to configure the sound on the fly.

No biggie.

Thanks so much =)

Edit: I'll upload the trek demo I mentioned later and see if you can give me any insight on that. I think that also had an installer but wouldn't save settings if I remembered right.

Reply 3 of 4, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright then, here's a bit more of a challenge. It's why I did not think to check for an install.exe before.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0kw4317qb1pyw5m

Most notably King's Quest 6, I cannot get the musicto change to SB from pc speaker even using the demo.bat file to specify such.

Reply 4 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Either run the INSTALL.EXE in the game's directory or manually edit the RESOURCE.CFG and run the game from GAME.EXE. I have most of the Sierra demos on this page. The ZIPs are the original packages and the EXEs are preconfigured install packages.