Okay, I'm running it on the following hardware:

Pentium 200
32 megs RAM
#9 Graphics adapter
AWE 32 PNP / joystick port
MS-DOS 6.22
Using Slowdown to slow CPU cycles to something manageable for WC 1 / 2
Advanced Gravis gameport joystick

I have an odd problem in WC 1 / 2--mainly in the training simulator for WC 1... What happens is I start off and the joystick works fine but about five or ten seconds into it, the joystick input dies and it stops responding completely... until I exit and re-start the game.

I have no idea what is causing it. It isn't the AWE 32 or the Joystick because I just played through Wing Commander 3 in its entirety over the course of several months and never had a single issue with the joystick at all.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't use slowdown.

Boot the machine, go into BIOS, disable L1 and L2 cache, boot DOS and launch the game.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 13, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you cannot disable level 1 or 2 cache from the BIOS, you could try 'cpucache.com', it can disable the level 1 cpu cache from Dos - so you can toggle it off before playing, and turn it on afterwards (to play something more modern, for example).

'Slowdown' and 'moslo' probably interfere with the joystick calibration/timing that the game uses.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mr_Blastman wrote:

If I don't use slowdown, they are unplayable. 🙁 Way too fast.

If I do use it, I can get it close to how they ran years ago on my 386-33...

Yea disabling L1 and L2 cache will slow down the machine.

See here in one of my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PtaXJp2iBY

Reply 5 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mau1wurf1977, you're the ultimate campaigner for the 'cache dis-abler' cause - love it!

Personally I have a bee in my bonnet about using the period specific hardware but using a Pentium makes a lot of sense, I've found countless P1's during my old hardware savaging. Dunno the history of them, but they must have been massively popular over here (in Oz).

Reply 6 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes I find a lot of socket 7 Pentiums as well, very rarely anything newer. Even in about 2001ish I was dumpster diving for computers and people were throwing them out back then. If I was to take a gamble, I'd say that it was due to the internet becoming accessible to the masses here in australia in the latter half of the 90's which was around the time of the first gen Pentium- people went out and bought their first computers to get online.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 7 of 13, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing compares to hardware slowdown, I mean lowering FSB and CPU clock multiplier in CMOS or on the motherboard with jumpers, and disabling L1/L2 cache.

If this is not an option, one might want to try other slowdown utilities like MoSlow Deluxe or Bremze, with different methods (parameters). A Pentium 3 or above PC is generally considered better for software slowdown because ACPI is supported and can be used as well, for smoother braking...

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 8 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmofo wrote:

Mau1wurf1977, you're the ultimate campaigner for the 'cache dis-abler' cause - love it!.

Yea I love it as well 😀

I remember when I started my "time-machine" project ~ 2 years ago. I started off with a Slot 1 system (BX440) chipset and had only limited success. The main issue is that these boards don't have any L2 cache anymore.

L1 and L2 is on the chip and gets disabled together. So the CPU is either running at full speed or as slow as a 386SX. Only a very highly clocked PIII with 133MHz FSB manages to emulate a 386DX.

Reply 11 of 13, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This may be a really stupid question.... but.... it's not the training simulator *right* at the start of the game when you load it up, is it?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 12 of 13, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nah, right at the start you blow up. 😜 That's normal, though. No, what I'm talking about is later on, say 3 missions in and I go to the bar, hop in the training simulator and queue up some dralthi for example, after a few seconds, the joystick stops responding.

I confirmed it isn't my version--as it works flawlessly in Dosbox on my windows machine. Very odd indeed this is. I was able to run WC 1 back in the day on my 386 DX 33 and hit the turbo button off to make it 8 mhz and it'd continue to work fine for laughs.