VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've searched for other threads that may bear the answer, but I can't seem to find one.

Following Moody's guide, I created the batch file with the settings to make my Voodoo2 SLI setup think it's a singular Voodoo1. I disabled SLI in the control panel. I copied glide.dll and sst1init.dll to the install directory. The game starts up and shows the opening movie, but whenever I try to start any mission, campaign or training, it goes to load the mission and immediately kicks me back to either the selection screen for cadet training, or mission failed for campaign.

I should state this is a P3-500 running Win98SE with an ATI Rage Pro Turbo plus 2 Diamond Monster 3D IIs with 12MB each.

Any ideas that don't involve a glide wrapper? If I wanted to use a glide wrapper, I wouldn't have bought 2 voodoo 2 cards.

Chris/Van/Sober.
You have found a well. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary well.

Reply 2 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does your Mechwarrior 2 have CD music? I believe you experience the same behavior if you don't have the CD music but you haven't cracked the .exe.

If you don't have the CD music then IIRC cracking the .exe will work......of course if you don't have the CD music then that probably means you downloaded your copy of Mech2.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 8, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the original DOS/Win95 release, which I tried to modify to the 3dfx version with file replacement. I bought a disc that was supposed to be for the Diamond Monster 3D, but instead they sent me one for the STB Velocity 3D, which is a s3 Virge chipset. At least I only paid $7 including shipping for it. I'm discovering just how much of a pain this piece of software really is. I guess the short answer is, yes, I have the CD music.

Chris/Van/Sober.
You have found a well. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary well.

Reply 4 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MW2 3dfx is only problematic when you try to run it on cards other than Voodoo1. 😉

Well actually that's not entirely true. Later Voodoo1 driver packs stopped including the glide.ovl or .dll (whatever it is) for these old initial Glide games so you have to copy a file out of an older pack or just outright use an older driver package.

The file replacement trick does work. I use that to switch to the other accelerated versions. I have an original MW2 3dfx CD.

Reply 5 of 8, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed. I have no desire to build another machine with a Voodoo1 card in it, though. As much as I don't like it, having followed the guide exactly, with it still not working, I would guess I need to try a wrapper after all. As an aside, trying the Titanium edition even gives me problems. It at least will show the mission loading screen, but then the computer locks up after.

Chris/Van/Sober.

Reply 6 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As consolation, I once had MW2 3dfx working flawlessly with DGVOODOO on a modern PC.

You should really just be enjoying Unreal in 1024x768 on those Voodoo2s anyway. That's the defining Voodoo experience I remember. 😁. Dig up the last Unreal patch that has the original weapon sounds. I think that's 219. AFAIK it's not possible to use any Voodoo newer than Voodoo2 with that patch.

Reply 8 of 8, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure, sounds like a plan to me. PM me when you find it.

Chris/Van/Sober.