VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Skarn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so...I know what 3dfx was/is. But what does this card do?
Is it DirectX? Do games need special patches to use the 3D on this card?
Anyone know of a good repository then for patches for this card?
Just looking for some help 😀 Thanks guys.

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's one of 'those' Direct3D cards that were pretty much made for Direct3D and has trouble on anything OpenGL. swaaye has one I believe and he knows more about it than I do.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah as leileilol says it's a Direct3D compatible card. D3D 5/6. You just go get yourself some the G200 driver for your OS from Matrox's site and then run whatever 1996-2000 games that are fast enough and look right.

Reply 4 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a bug in the OpenGL driver in the last G200 driver package. It breaks transparent water in at least Quake 2. The way around this is to get the final G400 driver package, extract the G200 ICD file it also includes, and replace the older installed one.

Reply 5 of 7, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That G200 bug not only breaks transparent water in Quake 2, but every transparency / translucency effect in OpenGL. I guess they completely broke alpha blending in last G200 driver release and never cared to fix it. Why they instead fixed G200 ICD in later G400 driver releases is still a mystery to me.

Reply 6 of 7, by Skarn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys 😀 ahhh bum, I'm still hanging out to come across a legit voodoo 1 cards. I'll keep trawling the second-hand stores, but a decent DirectX card for my win98 rig isn't such a bad thing I guess.