VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I cant seem to find any examples in audeo files or videos of the "hanging note" bug for sb16 cards. so I'm not sure what this is.

i recently bought a NEC XR385 MIDI daughter board which I paired with a SB16 CT2800. i know this card has the "hanging note" bug but i wanted to see for myself. I've played arena, duke3d and a few games and they sounded fine but then i tried DOOM and it sounds off. I'm just note sure if its the sb16 or the midi board or even if its supposed to sound this way. its not terrible just mildly distracting. basically its these high pitched "twinkle" sounds that happen. also every once in awhile I'll get a high pitched sound that kind of sounds like static or a whistle being blown, that sound is highly annoying but if i keep playing it usually goes away after a minute.

anyways I made a quick video, its from a digital camera just pointed at the screen so yhea, i know the quality sucks but you can still hear the twinkle sound. what do you guys think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KglBIcDUlMc&feature=youtu.be

Reply 1 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you get these sounds when no music is playing? I call them "hearing the computer think". Noises when you type DIR or when the CPU works hard.

Doom and Duke 3D have a weird issue. You need to reset the MIDI unit (Send it a command) after one of these games, or restart the computer. So restart the PC and play Doom right away, do you still get this issue?

Hexen is a good way to get the hanging note right away. Hexen -warp 02 or something like that.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 8, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm curious too. I don't think I've ever actually heard it either - or at least I'm not sure if I have. I have an XR385 hooked up to a CT1750, but it's DSP 4.05 and I'm not sure if it has the bug to begin with.

EDIT: DSP=4.05, not 1.04 😖

Last edited by tincup on 2013-01-26, 15:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

anyways I made a quick video, its from a digital camera just pointed at the screen so yhea, i know the quality sucks but you can still hear the twinkle sound. what do you guys think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KglBIcDUlMc&feature=youtu.be

Yes, that's the real hanging note bug, classic textbook example 🤣

There are high-pitched squeals at 0:02, 0:07, 0:13, 0:34, 0:35 and 0:53 (maybe I missed a few more).

Reply 4 of 8, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmmm... at 02/07/13 I only hear what sounds like short *sustained* chords of the pseudo guitar/organ vibrato - and it almost sounds intentional? I had thought the hanging note was a single unbroken high note, not a sustained chord effect.
🤣.. Maybe I can't hear the high-pitch?

Reply 5 of 8, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, "unbroken high note" describes it better than "high-pitched squeal". 😉
Maybe it is difficult to detect if you don't know it from experience.
DSP revision 1.04 should be unaffected BTW.

Reply 6 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@MAU1, yeah it happens even if i restart at the same places.

@5U3, yes, those are the exact spots in the video I hear it as well so at least I know its not me or that's an intentional sound. I assumed it was the bug as I said I've never actually heard any examples of it before.