VOGONS

Common searches

Krondor in XP

Topic actions

First post, by Izanagi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get Betrayal at Krondor to run on Windows XP, and am having problems.

When I try to run Krondor through Windows, the screen goes to black for a few seconds, then knocks me back out to the desktop with no error message or anything.

When I try to run the program through the Command Prompt, the screen goes to black for a few seconds, then it boots me back to the Command Prompt with the error message, "You do not have enough memory to run Betrayal at Krondor. Try using the Make Boot Disk option from INSTALL."

But when I try to make a boot disk, the install comes up with an error message saying, "This game requires 1482K of extended memory and your machine does not have enough. Press any key to continue..." and then, "Boot disk was not created."

I've tried using the instructions at http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php#2 , but, after doing that, the screen goes to black for a few seconds longer, and then dings an error and goes back to desktop with the message:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

KRONDOR.EXE
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0000 IP:0077 OP:f0 37 05 12 02 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

And if I click 'Ignore' and re-maximize the program, it dings an error again, and kicks me back to Windows with the exact same error message. And if I ignore it a second time, and re-maximize the program, it just kicks me back to Windows with no error message.

System specs I know(my bro built my computer, and I don't know what all he used):

950 mHz AMD Duron processor
Radeon 7500 vid card
246 mb of RAM

I don't know what sound card I have, other than that it is built into my motherboard, it's a POS, and I *think* the name of the company that made the motherboard was Soyo.

I am a complete newbie to getting DOS games to run on XP, so I figured a forum would be the best and fastest place to get answers, and one of my buddies was helpful enough to supply the address of this site, so please do accept my deepest and most sincere apologies if I have not supplied enough information for you kind souls to help me remedy this problem.

Reply 3 of 4, by Izanagi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I went to Google and did a search for "dosbox", and found a site to download it.

Upon downloading it and installing it, I tried to figure out just what the flip I was supposed to do with it, because I couldn't understand a flipping thing in the readme file, except it said somewhere that you can drag the executable of the game you're wanting to run over the dosbox executable to get it to work) and then I dragged the KRONDOR.EXE file over the dosbox.exe file, and it popped up two windows.

One was saying something about me having a joystick, not an error message or anything, just saying that I had a joystick with X number of buttons and such.

On the other screen, about eight-and-a-half centimeters from the bottom of the window, and about seventeen and a third centimeters from the right of the window (the window was twenty x 9 and three-fourths centimeters in viewable area, in 1024x768) was a horizontal line that was aqua colored, and was about half a centimeter long in 1024x768 resolution, and another horizontal line line about half a centimeter to the right from it that was dark grey in color, also about half a centimeter in length. The window also failed to respond to anything other than closing it.

Reply 4 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember to have played Betrayal at Krondor under WinXP without doing anything fancy. I ran it natively and i played for a while, without problems. Anyway, i also recommend using DOSBox.
IZANAGI:
I guess you have zero ms-dos knowledge so i will try to help you out. Just follow these easy steps:

Install and run DOSBox. After that, you'll get a prompt similar to the old ms-dos one, just like this:

Z:\>

This drive letter is the internal drive for DOSBOx so don't mess with it. From now on, you need to specify (mount) as many drives as you need (or have). Let's keep this short an easy.

1) You want to install the game which is on CD-ROM on drive F. You'll need to mount it first: Z:\>mount f f:\ -t cdrom

2) You want to install it to c:\games (presuming c:\games does exist indeed). Z:\>mount c c:\

3) go to cd and invoke installer (could be install, setup or whatever, it's up to you). Z:\>F:
F:\>install

4) After installing... F:\>c:
C:\>cd games
C:\GAMES\>run (or whatever, krondor.exe etc) Issue a DIR command if you are not sure. Executable formats are EXE, COM and BAT

Good luck and read the docs. Searching the forum would help you too.