VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently got a Thinkpad T40 and Thinkpad Dock II for a song, and I want to make it into a DOS/Early Windows PC Gaming rig.

I'm going to put a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI in the Dock, and I've got an Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA Card (Cardbus) and the Audigy DOS drivers for SB16 emulation.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Audigy 2 in DOS?
Will DOS detect PCMCIA devices easily?

Can I use this in native DOS Mode?

Reply 1 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might be dissatisfied by the docking station's PCI bus speed regarding the video card, even for a makeshift retro desktop rig improvised from a laptop.
Is there ISA in the dock?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 4, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's about 30Mhz, which is enough for a PCI Voodoo3 3000.

It won't be playing Doom 3, but I have a better laptop for that.
I just want those games with glide support without yet another desktop.

What about the Audigy 2 ZS notebook sb16 emulation in pure dos mode?

Reply 3 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know it won't be playing Doom3 (btw the Mobility Radeon 9000 can run Doom3 around 10-25fps at the least... 😉 )

Are you planning on using an external monitor for the Voodoo3? It'll be just another desktop machine if you go the docked-video-card route. It's not going to drive the internal LCD.

Have you experimented with Glide wrappers on the Mobility Radeon 9000?

I have no experience with PCMCIA sound cards so I can't expect the (awful since Live) PCI DOS SB16 emulation to work as it does through actual PCI. This is why I brought up the question about ISA in the dock so you could stick a real DOS sound card in there 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a flaw in your plan: the Audigy 2 ZS Notebook card doesn't have DOS drivers, so it won't work.
However, the T40 audio chipset can provide SB emulation atleast in Win98, it won't be native DOS but if your DOS games run fine under the Win98 command-line it should be ok, right?

If you really want to use a PCMCIA sound card, the PCMCIA Socket Service/Card Service drivers for your laptop can be found on the lenovo support page at
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?L … ocID=MIGR-46258

As for wich PCMCIA card you should use, click on the link just below in my signature.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics