VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I have a spare 486 with a 486-25dx 16mb ram and onboard IDE. I have only 3 Isa slots and 2 are taken by video and sound, so 1 free. I was thinking of just using this PC for light use but I figured it would be great to configure for U7. My question is should I upgrade the CPU to a 33dx or go for a 40dx? Also as far as hard drives go I was thinking either SCSI via an Isa controller card or maybe a cf card on the built in IDE.

Reply 2 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ultima 7 -the Black Gate has no frame limiter so if the PC is too fast the game will be too fast as well. A Pentium 100 played it fine, though 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Ultima 7 -the Black Gate has no frame limiter so if the PC is too fast the game will be too fast as well. A Pentium 100 played it fine, though 😉

A P100? almost everything ive read says even a 66mhz 486 is to fast. I know the 33mhz 486 is the reccommended CPU but I wasnt sure if it ran slightly sluggish at that speed and a 40mhz would be perfect.

Reply 4 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

My first pc was a p100 (or p90?) and I THINK it played fine without a slow down utility. But it has been ages, who knows what I remember 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 12, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ultima 7 would run fast, and then slow depending upon the screen items/etc. Sometimes it was slow as hell on my 486DX2-66, and other times was almost too fast. Depends upon the scene.

I've got a TON of retro systems I'm playing games on, but haven't revisited Ultima 7 for a long time on a true retro system. I'll play with it this week on a 386DX-40, 486DX-33 and 66, and a pentium 90Mhz and 166MHz and post back here either this Saturday or next week.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 7 of 12, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its a tough one. I like games to be fast and responsive but if you go with anything above about 50mhz it becomes very difficult to click on npcs for conversation and more so in combat. As well as impossible if the npc is fleeing. Then at 25mhz the scrolling is awful. Its like 3 steps (pause) 3 steps (pause)

where is the perfect balance?

I've been recently playing on a 486DX-33 with a tekram cache controller. Its a good speed but sometimes I wish menus/paperdolls were a little faster and combat a little slower + faster scrolling 😀

exult.......?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 8 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

http://exult.sf.net the best way to play u7 - but I'm biased 😉

Reply 9 of 12, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi dominus

I do love exult. What a valuable contribution.
I tried running it on my cyrix 5x86 133 with windows 98, 64mb ram, 32mb video card but it was just a tad too slow:)

how many working mods are there that add new content?

Is feudal lands the only one?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 12 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Exult:
the best working mods are atm, the BG keyring mod and SI Fixes, both by Marzo, developer of Exult and part of the feudal land team (which might never go further...).
Currently there is a U6 project that seems nicely progressing 😀
Exult is as Dosbox, resource hungry, give it a good machine to run on 😀