VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by yokmismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

After buying a roland mt-32, i got a Roland SC-55MKII to complete the midi team (mt-32 & GM).

The problem is that, on one game if i connect the Midi out & midi in to the PC and to the sc-55, the digital voices get corrupted and continously cut off, this is strange because with the roland mt-32 the voices are ok...

Finally i found that if i disconnect the midi out on the sc-55, the digital voices suddenly are reproduced well!!, and the midi continues playing well too.

my questions are... ¿is necessary to plug the midi out on the roland and the pc for gaming or not?, ¿perhaps the SC-55MKII has the midi out failing?.

My soundcard is a SB16 (tried with 2 different)

Thanks in advance
Regards

Reply 2 of 3, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yokmismo wrote:

my questions are... ¿is necessary to plug the midi out on the roland and the pc for gaming or not?

No 😀

What many do is connect the MIDI OUT from the SB to the MIDI IN of the MT-32. Then from the MIDI-THRU of the MT-32 into the MIDI-IN of the Sound Canvas.

If both devices are power on, both will play and you just use cables or a mixer to choose which one you want to listen to.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 3, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For IBM PC games, connecting a sound module's MIDI out is never necessary. As both the SCC-1 and LAPC-I sound cards never send out any data, even upon request, no General-MIDI- or MT-32-supporting game would have made it necessary to be able to receive data from the GS or LA sound source.

X68000 games are a different story: several Konami games insist on using the handshake transfer procedure when sending data to the MT-32, which requires bidirectional connection, and will fail otherwise.