VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aub84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_e … d&v=i12sgy4Rkv4

No save crystals. PC
Graphics settings (low, medium, high). PC, but in accelerated mode ¿?
"escape" FMV. PC
But...water is turquoise, same as psx version. ¿?

PC
screen020.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Nd8r0NSEM&fe … player_embedded

PSX
ePSXe2011-03-2017-47-23-37.jpg

Version that i say:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_e … d&v=h0qeV39Fe_U

This version seem to be different then any pc version that i had seen. The color water isn't the only thing. Values high, medium and low for graphics settings are only avalaible in software version (I thought) and not in accelerated version of Tomb Raider.

Reply 1 of 46, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3dfx version through a special DOSBox build with Glide support, passing through a Glide wrapper (allowing higher res and the hsot card features such as AA). Most likely the Steam release.

BTW the PowerVR version officially had 1024x768x16 support

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 46, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not strange when you consider red pollution ruins turqoise and cyan on a CRT computer screen (leading to the coloring of blue which would look visually better instead), and the PSX version has the TV gamma ramps and has less problems with turqoise...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 46, by aub84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

It's not strange when you consider red pollution ruins turqoise and cyan on a CRT computer screen (leading to the coloring of blue which would look visually better instead), and the PSX version has the TV gamma ramps and has less problems with turqoise...

I have played on psx emulator and the water is turqoise (played on tft panel). On all pc version that i have seen the water is blue. I think that isn't gamma problem or tv/monitor panel.

Reply 6 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He mentions Speedy 3D / Rendition and not 3DFX if that helps?

Also the videos don't seem to have scanlines like on the PC.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 46, by aub84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From the autor:

"Das ist die PC-Version mit 3D-Beschleunigung. Folge 1-5 mit Rendition Verite und ab Folge 6 mit 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee 😀"

The first 5 walkthrough he plays with rendition verite, the following with 3dfx card.
I didn't know that the water looked green with rendition verite. I love it with rendition verite, but i don't have this card : (

Reply 8 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mystery solved 😀

It runs quite well on that card. I didn't know that other cards could render just as fast / smooth.

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 46, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No Speedy3D on Rendition can't be emulated at the present moment.

PowerVR, Matrox Mystique, Rendition and ATI Rage PRO all plays the game great in 640x480. There might be a difference on low CPUs (ie Pentium 100s).

1024x768 is not recommended on the PowerVR. The framerate is between 15-25. 800x600 on PowerVR along with 3DFX and Rendition in 640x480 are probably the best versions (due to AA). ATI Rage Pro also supports 800x600 and has a high framerate, but suffers some texture glitches. It is however a Windows port and supports Windows gamepads for better control.

Very cool detail: Tomb Raider on PowerVR runs best if a Rendition V2200 is used as host card (who would've guessed!)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 13 of 46, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I acually just tested this game with everything except the powervr. I agree that the voodoo and verite versions are the best. The worst as far as looks from what I saw was the matrix mystique. The rage and virge versions were a bit dark for my tastes.

Reply 14 of 46, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, please excuse the quality. These were taken with a digital camera basically just pointed at the screen, I don't even have a tripod to use. I have no screen capture tools for DOS stuff.

0iyw.jpg

bnkx.jpg

4ijk.jpg

Reply 17 of 46, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aub84 wrote:

The speedy3d version is the best on this images. Could you post screens to compare water?
Thank you

yeah, I'm curious myself now so I may do that later today.

I'm still surprised how bad the mystique version is though. maybe its because I'm using the 2mb slower clocked initial card but really it almost looks like software mode, only Laura actually looks better. It seems to be real picky to as It wasn't till the fourth computer I tried it on that it actually worked. Its doesn't even give options for graphics modes and all the shadows are in a checkered pattern. the Rage and s3d look okay but are just really dark though that may be fixable by playing with brightness settings. I used the same monitor for all these with all the gfx settings maxed but other then that I didn't adjust brightness I just played with what it gave me on setup.

as far as gfx options the
mystique gave non whatsoever
voodoo gave option of mipmapping or normal
Rage gave options of Bilinear, perspective and resolutions up to 800x600
verite just gave the standard gfx options of low, normal and high
s3d gave same options as rage except the resolution only went up to 640x480

the harp with the voodo has a wired line sticking out from its top as you can see in the image and the vertie has a purple line down it. I don't know if these are intentional things. I cant recall from testing but I did notice in the images the rage didn't give a shadow for Laura and as i mentioned the Mystique gave the shadow a checkered pattern.

I'll also add this was done with the standard retail release of the game. not the gold version (if that makes a difference)

Reply 19 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's some serious effort putting these images together!

My YouTube channel