VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dosalive2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an original boxed set of MS DOS 6.1 Win 3.11 floppy disks, they still work, one by one !

How do I burn that set on to CD so the entire CD installs in one go ?

If I try to burn each floppy disk separately, it won't install the complete OS and 3.11

May need some sort of install for the CD ROM driver after a complete format of Drive C:

So what are the steps to do all this right and not be in a situation where I'm screwed because I wiped out all the drivers.
The box currently has XP OS, but have plenty spare PC's with XP, I can now "sacrifice" one of them and run DOS exclusively.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 3, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's been many years since I've done this, actually maybe a couple of decades, but I think I remember how I used to do this.

So the DOS install disks each have a identifier file that lets the installer know which disk it is. I would copy all the files from each disk into its own directory, ie, disk1, disk2, etc. Then when the installer asked for the next disk and the location, I'd change to that directory. At least I think this is how I did it.

Now, I know this method worked for Win31 for sure. Each time it asks for a different disk, I simply changed the path.

Good luck! The hardest part of this install will be finding any video drivers for Win31. That was always a pain.

Reply 2 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DOS install disks look for the disk label to ID the disks, so it would not be possible using the original installer. You could probably do something with a batch file to expand all of the files to the hard drive and then copy or write the config.sys/autoexec.bat files to the base of the drive. You would also need to make the HHD bootable. Perhaps by first formatting the hard drive with the "s" switch. If the CD is DOS bootable, this could simply be done with "sys".

The Win 3.11 is easy. just copy all of the files from each disk into a single folder and you can just use the original installer.

Of course if you are just looking to not have to install from the floppies every time, but don't mind doing it at least once, you could manually install form the floppies and then copy all of the files on the HDD to burn to CD as is. You could then just do a "sys" on the new drive and xcopy the entire CD to it and be done.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 3, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

The DOS install disks look for the disk label to ID the disks, so it would not be possible using the original installer. You could probably do something with a batch file to expand all of the files to the hard drive and then copy or write the config.sys/autoexec.bat files to the base of the drive. You would also need to make the HHD bootable. Perhaps by first formatting the hard drive with the "s" switch. If the CD is DOS bootable, this could simply be done with "sys".

The Win 3.11 is easy. just copy all of the files from each disk into a single folder and you can just use the original installer.

Of course if you are just looking to not have to install from the floppies every time, but don't mind doing it at least once, you could manually install form the floppies and then copy all of the files on the HDD to burn to CD as is. You could then just do a "sys" on the new drive and xcopy the entire CD to it and be done.

Ah yes! I forgot about the volume label. I usually just did the manual install that you've mentioned. There was no real advantage to a 'real' dos install anyways.

I'd partition and format the drive using /s and give it a volume name (to avoid corruption when lfn touches the drive). The I'd copy my autoexec.bat and config.sys and copy all the dos files where I want them. I remember this being A LOT easier than the original install disks.