VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nytegard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently acquired a Hercules Prophetview Pro 920 DVI.
My video card is a ATI 9800.

BTW, this is a dual monitor setup, and I have a CRT on the VGA adapter.

Before I installed the LCD, I could play older games fine, well, at least see them.

Now, every DOS game I've tried (I haven't tried any 640x480 games yet, but then again, most of them tend not to work on XP to begin with) just gets me to a black screen.

I tried setting my other monitor as the primary monitor, but I must be doing something stupid, because both will display the same thing, and both usually just display a black screen.

Now, I know some LCD's can display these games, because I have a laptop that can display the game, and that uses an LCD screen.

But is it that this specific monitor doesn't display it? Or is it because I'm using it through DVI and not the VGA graphics port? But then why doesn't the CRT display it correctly then? And is there anyway to get it to switch over correctly?

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

not all lcd monitors support the same modi.
It's not unlikely that your lcd monitor doesn't support those lowres resolutions.

On a laptop the videocard helps the lcd monitor to support real lowres modi.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 5, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

>modi? Qbix, that's like saying virii: it's incorrect

No, it's not 😜

Modi is correct Latin plural of modus, -i which can well be.
It's true virus (approx. "poison") otoh can't be declined to any plural case. (if one would definitely want to talk about poisons he'd better use the plural of e. g. venenum)

Reply 5 of 5, by Nytegard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried plugging it into the analog port (with the help of a DVI to VGA converter), and it displays now. Ugly, but it displays.

On the other hand, I'd rather not have it on analog since I hear to always use DVI if possible with an LCD to keep color accuracy.

Now somehow the ATI drivers always keep the DVI monitor as primary. Even if I use the drivers to set monitor 2 as primary, all of the sudden monitor 1 becomes monitor 2 and vice versa.

Then again it could be because DOS never had DVI, so its going for the wrong IRQ.

Thanks for your help though, but I guess I'll have to use DOSBox