VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 102, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First post updated with Screamer 1 and Screamer 2.

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2014-01-23, 19:30. Edited 1 time in total.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 102, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

(Am I the only one who generally prefers concise text writeups to videos?)

Surely not and there are others that might find videos off-putting.

But I'm not good with reading / writing. Got a bit of a learning issue in that regard and I'm very much a visual / auditory learner / teacher. For me guides can never replicate a video that shows you all steps involved. There is a lot of ambiguity with guides and they often assume prior knowledge.

For reading / writing I like dot points, but that's as far as I'd like to take it. While dot points are great for the MS-DOS veteran, it leaves anyone without a solid knowledge of images, file editing, command line totally confused and really shuts them out. And I want to achieve the opposite, get people interested and break down barriers.

You might understand what "Rename image to BIN / CUE, convert compressed audio files to CD compatible WAV, mount BIN / CUE > burn mixed mode CD" means, but to most this is as helpful as a mobile phone in the bush.

So it is what it is, if you want detailed write ups, I'm not the guy for you 🤣

But people can watch my videos and do a write up if they like? That would be awesome 😀

It's been very quiet here anyway, not many questions so either the videos do their job and leave no questions or nobody cares 😵

My YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 102, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

None whatsoever 🤣

I might be interested in using something like Norton Commander, but haven't gotten around to trying out some of the free clones.

My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 102, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

(Am I the only one who generally prefers concise text writeups to videos?)

Nope. I can read and understand 100x faster than how long some of these tutorial videos are. I don't mind them, but I hope they don't start taking precedence over normal text/screenshot tutorials. No offense to Mau1wurf1977...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 26 of 102, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well you should be able to get most games going without any help after watching a few of my videos 😀

There are only so many ways how GOG.com configures them and I do hope that my videos are somewhat educational.

The other thing is that videos include sound. Does it sound correct? What does Roland really sound like? A video has the benefit of containing several media and answering questions that go beyond the primary objective.

Any other games you guys want to discuss? One issue I have is identifying games that use DOSBox. So you could help by contributing with simply listing games you know use it!

Something else that interests me is getting some games, that use ScummVM, to get going under DOSBox. Prime examples are 7th Guest and 11th hours which I would love to get going on MS-DOS! There are also the Simon adventures.

My YouTube channel

Reply 27 of 102, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

One issue I have is identifying games that use DOSBox. So you could help by contributing with simply listing games you know use it!

You mean other than the ones listed in http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/GOG_games_that_use_DOSBox ?

See also http://www.gog.com/mix/games_using_dosbox , which is apparently derived from that list.

Reply 30 of 102, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was really hoping that others chip in a little. I'm focussing on producing the videos.

My YouTube channel

Reply 32 of 102, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please delete.

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2014-01-23, 19:31. Edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel

Reply 33 of 102, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First post updated with Silent Service 1 and Silent Service 2.

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2014-01-23, 19:46. Edited 3 times in total.

My YouTube channel

Reply 34 of 102, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Do you really need to post all existing videos again ? You posted them already on the same page!

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 35 of 102, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

Do you really need to post all existing videos again ? You posted them already on the same page!

Fixed.

My YouTube channel

Reply 36 of 102, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Having some fun with the GOG.com release of Battle Isle Platinum.

Specifically BI2.

Findings so far...

- BATTLE2.EXE checks for the CD label. HEX editor shows it should be BATTLEISLE2
- Label of the BIN/CUE getting mounted however is BI1+2
- If the copy protection kicks in > unbeatable computer
- But the computer plays fine on the GOG.com version, despite the Cd label not matching. Maybe a patch?
- Also running INSTALL.EXE resets PATH.TXT which has a pointer to D:\BI2 (User needs to enter D:\BI2 on the INSTALL.EXE screen each time when changing sound card) or edit PATH.TXT manually
- GOG.com version configured for MT-32 > Wrong instruments
- CD tracks don't work in the game (DOSBox and real computer), but trying them out crashes the real PC, DOSBox just nothing happens

My YouTube channel

Reply 37 of 102, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I definitely believe the GOG.com files are patched (compared to the files inside the CD image that get mounted).

When using the files from the GOG.com game directory and copying the CD files into a subdirectory, pointing INSTALL.EXE to that subdirectory, the game plays without a CD 😀

This is not possible if you burn the Installation CD, install it and then do the same.

How would one compare a bunch of files to see if anything has been patched / hacked? It also doesn't crash when you try to play a CD track (doesn't work of course).

My YouTube channel

Reply 38 of 102, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

How would one compare a bunch of files to see if anything has been patched / hacked?

Calculate the file hashes? I like WinMD5. Drag-and-drop all the files from one version onto the program window, save the MD5 file, close and re-open the program, drag the MD5 file onto the program window, and then drag-and-drop all the files from the other version onto the program window.

Once you see which files have changed, you can compare files directly using FrHed. Bit of a clumsy program, that one, but I know of no freeware hex editor that can manage comparisons as well.

...Or you could just ask on the GOG forums to see if someone has already investigated this.

Reply 39 of 102, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Once you see which files have changed, you can compare files directly using FrHed. Bit of a clumsy program, that one, but I know of no freeware hex editor that can manage comparisons as well.

Legend!

I dragged the executable from the game folder and from the disc image and the checksum is different 😀

Awesome, thanks for helping out!

My YouTube channel