User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello !

I have a Pentium 3 500 Mhz

and Trust Voodoo Dragon 2.

Windows 98 SE in Real DOS-Mode

I installed Carmageddon and the Patches for Voodoo 1 and then for Voodoo2.

But the Game crash every time i start the First Race.

The Installation Should okay, because when i Play it in Win98 with dgVoodoo and the installed Geforce FX 5200 the game works.

But in Real Dos Mode with Voodoo2 the game crashes after Starting a Race.
Sometimes i see the first Frame from the Race (City from above and the Cars) then Game hangs.

I tried gilde2.ovl from Trust-CD (displays 3DFX-Logo)
glide2.ovl from Trust Driver 30202 (Internet) (newer 3DFX-Logo)
and Driver from FastVoodoo, the Game also crashed.

On my other Pc the Game works with Voodoo1 Card without Problems.

Can some please Post a glide.ovl that works for him with Voodoo2 ?
And the Envoirement Settings too, please.

Many Thanks

Reply 1 of 14, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glide2x.ovl version shouldn't matter afaik in Carmageddon. You have probably installed the wrong patch (or something else is wrong with your system). To eliminate the patch problem, read the following from this thread:

vetz wrote:
The Carmageddon 3DFX patches is a bit wrapped into each other. Let me try and explain and see if you guys follow. […]
Show full quote

The Carmageddon 3DFX patches is a bit wrapped into each other. Let me try and explain and see if you guys follow.

Carmageddon initially had no 3DFX support and this was first added with the release of the expansion: Splat Pack (or Carmageddon Max which combined both the original game and the Splat Pack). This version included native support for 3DFX and a patch to add support for the original game (3DFX.EXE). A patch (CARMAV.EXE) was also released online by SCI/Stainless and had several betas from what I can find (first one released beginning of August 1997). The latest official beta version is called "carv24rw.zip" and was released October 25th 1997 with Voodoo Rush support. A couple of months later (February 1998), an unofficial third party patch was released online on Carmageddon.com with the filename "carm3dfx.zip". It is unknown what this adds, but it is speculated that this patch works for more versions, even the censored German/Australian versions.

In July 1998 the alpha Voodoo2 patch was released. It had no technical support and it was created by a member of the Stainless Software programming team in his own time for no reward. The Voodoo2 patch includes executables for both the original game and the Splat Pack. It requires the final beta patch (carv24rw.zip) to be installed. The game can be run with VOODO2C.EXE for Carmageddon and VOODO2S.EXE for Splat Pack. It supports all versions and removes CD check. I dont see why the Voodoo 2 patch shouldn't work with Voodoo 1 cards tbh, but I have not tested this personally.

There is also an unofficial installer for the 3DFX patch, but I haven't tried it. It reads:

This is an unofficial hack to help people which were having problems installing the 3DFX patch.

To get Voodoo2 patches for DOS Glide games and see which games are compatible I suggest you take a look at this list/thread.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 14, by Holering

User metadata

This sounds like the same problems I've always had with this game. Carmageddon doesn't get enough dpmi memory. Following seems to happen in this case (game crashes after choosing start position (first frame of actual race), rearview mirror missing, mug missing, graphic setting lowered, and/or sounds missing). Basically it crashes, or it runs in low memory mode if it doesn't. Same crud happens with Primal Rage (have to manually copy 16mb files for 16mb version) and probably other DOS games.

Usually use Windows 9x since it's way easier; right click the 3dfx executable or batch file (whichever one has 3dfx patch, or hires.bat too), go to memory tab and manually enter 65535 (max) for dpmi memory (default is auto and available choices don't have enough dpmi from menu). Carmageddon doesn't get enough dpmi memory in 9x every time I've played it. It's one of the latest DOS games and uses more memory than others.

If in pure DOS you probably need cwsdpmi or similar dpmi server with 64 megabytes configured.

Reply 5 of 14, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you Davros and Holering...

can you please attach your glide.ovl ?

Ich will try this in Win98 with more mem settings.

In DOS i Don't Know i can configure dpmi Memory.

Btw the PC has 640 MB ram.

Reply 6 of 14, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I doubt this has something to do with the Voodoo 2, if you see the first frame then the card is working. If there were a problem with the .ovl file you would get either glitches or just a black screen. Also when I made the compatibility list I didn't notice any problems with both new and old glide2x.ovl versions. Must be something with your hardware/settings as suggested by holering.

If you're dead certain it's your Voodoo2, then install the Voodoo1 in the machine with 640mb RAM and give it a try.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 14, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tested dmpi Mem to 65535 but No Change.

After starting the Race, on the screen where wo can Set your Position, i Get a Black screen, or i See the First Frame of the Race, One Time i only See cars But streets and house was all white.

I think the Voodoo2 Conflicts with another Device...

I have installed sb16 isa, sblive PCI, Netzwork Card realtek, scsi Interface for Scanner isa, and agp nvidia fx 5200

runs on a scenic 661 Pentium 3 500MHz with 640 meg of ram.

Chipset is Intel 440??

The Voodoo Card works with 3dfx Demos in Windows but hangs sometimes in Need for Speed 3.

Reply 9 of 14, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now i tryed DOSBOX Daum 2014-01-27..

And changed settings :

memsize=64

voodoo=auto

glide=true

and in the autostart section:

set GLIDE=0x600

Host System is WinXP and i installed the 3dfx drivers for XP (not fastvoodoo)

then i copyed the glide2x.dll from the Voodoo2Driver the directory where dosbox.exe is.

I installed Carmageddon and use the 3dfx-patch-installer.
And copyed the glide2x.ovl from dosbox into the game directory, where voodo2c.exe is.

Now it runs with my Voodoo2 in voodoo1-mode.

Seems the Card is working under Windows only.

I tryed the Trust-Voodoo2-Card in 3 PCs now.
with Carmageddon and Extreme Assault.. can't get it work in real Dos mode.

Reply 10 of 14, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now i tryed the Voodoo2 card in an Pentium 90 pc.

The game Starts with voodo2c and glide2.ovl from the driver CD.
But only in Windows98 (doubleclick on voodo2c)

when i change to real dos mode and Start voodo2c then i get a dos4/gw Error 0Dh (General protection fault)

PC has 48 MB ram.

Just load himem.sys and cd-Rom-drivers.

Reply 12 of 14, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

There is a carmageddon remake
http://1amstudios.com/projects/openc1/

Still in early development. Looks great but handles horribly.

Reply 14 of 14, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote on 2014-05-09, 06:51:

Glide2x.ovl version shouldn't matter afaik in Carmageddon. You have probably installed the wrong patch (or something else is wrong with your system).

Sems version DOES matter. I had this same problem on 86Box emulator (PCEm fork). First I thought it was a problem on the voodoo 2 emulation, but as I see this problem also happens on real hardware.

I did a lot of tests and I think I've found what the problem is. If you check the modification date of the file "voodoo2c.exe" is 22/06/98. So when the SCi employee did this fast hack to support voodoo 2:
- the Directx 7 compatible reference drivers from year 2000 everybody is using (3.02.02) didn't exist, neither
- Directx 6 compatible 3.01.01 drivers
- Directx 5 compatible 2.10 drivers
And all of them hang the game when starting the race.

But when using drivers 1.x ( I tested 1.02.51 and 1.03.00) voodoo2c.exe runs without any problem. Even carmav.exe runs directly over voodoo2, but with some flickering prblems in the top bar (as I barely remember also seeing when using my voodoo Banshee on my pentium mmx 25 years ago). And these 1.x drivers are from mar-jun 1998, the date the patch was published...

So yes, the voodoo2c.exe patch was checked for working over 1.x drivers, the ones available on that time, and unfortunately isn't compatible with any of the later versions (hangs when entering ingame).

To allow having later 3dfx drivers installed systemwise (under Win 9x) I just copied the file glide2x.ovl (attached) from 1.03.00 drivers on the Carmageddon folder, where voodoo2c.exe is located, and it works like a charm.

You can easily know if your game is running using 1.x or later 3dfx drivers: 1.x show the old logo, with a white spiky background, on the start animation, 2.x and newer drivers show the new animation, only with the word 3dfx and any background.

Tip: also 1.x drivers add the environment variables for configuring speeds, etc, on the autoexec.bat, while 2.x and newer use the windows registry, and run a program on startup to load them. It can cause problems when installing ones over the others as those entries are not deleted on uninstall.

Attachments

• Filename
    glide2x.zip
    File size
    156.02 KiB
    Downloads
    237 downloads
    File comment
    Glide2x.ovl from 1.03.00 3dfx drivers
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception