VOGONS

Common searches

Running Build Engine Games Beyond 800x600

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This seems like a simple question, but I haven't found any answers to it yet. Is it possible to run Build engine games such as Duke Nukem 3D and Blood in resolutions beyond 800x600? I've read about others doing so, but I haven't been able to figure out how.

I'm using a PII-333 and a GeForce FX 5500 PCI, which should be VESA compliant. I realize that this particular setup may not be powerful enough, but I have others that should have enough horsepower.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reply 2 of 39, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For Duke Nukem 3d - just edit duke3d.cfg. [Screen Setup]/ScreenWidth and [Screen Setup]/ScreenHeight. I have tested up to 1280x1024.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:

For Duke Nukem 3d - just edit duke3d.cfg. [Screen Setup]/ScreenWidth and [Screen Setup]/ScreenHeight. I have tested up to 1280x1024.

Yup that works well.

Duke 3D @ 1600 x 1200

This is on a GeForce FX5200 via VGA:

ztrOhTY.png

Don't have Blood to test. Well I think I have it on GOG.com but haven't made a disc yet.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 39, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

Ah, thank you! It works. 1024x768 doesn't look a whole lot different from 800x600, but my LCD monitor reports that it has switched to that resolution. However, when I go to 1280x960, the resolution goes back to what looks like 640x480. Not a big problem since I want to use an LCD with a native 1028x768 resolution.

Reply 5 of 39, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a good guide for DN3d levels?
Because when I try to play this *censored* game (version 1.3d, Come Get Some) - I always have 59 enemies killed and 2 missed in E1M1, "Hollywood Holocaust". And this thing make me mad!!! 🙁
P.S. Wikia think there are 58 enemies on this level. Yeah, right...
P.S.S. By the way, is there a way to check level info (enemies/secrets) in-game, like Tab in Quake?

Reply 6 of 39, by Zenyth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a flickering issue with all Build Engine games when I play with 1024x768 resolutions, that doesn't happen in 800x600 resolution. All sprites flickers in duke3d 1.5, for example.

@above poster: Check the air tubes in the bathroom.

EDIT: Sorry, shouldn't have posted this here as it's a DOSBOX related issue.

Reply 7 of 39, by ColdBrain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

P.S.S. By the way, is there a way to check level info (enemies/secrets) in-game, like Tab in Quake?

No. Only Shadow Warrior has it.

BTW I find it a waste to run Build games on anything over 800x600. I tried running Blood at 1280x1024 and it's playable and looks pretty, but the drop in speed isn't worth the extra eyecandy.

Reply 8 of 39, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:
Is there a good guide for DN3d levels? Because when I try to play this *censored* game (version 1.3d, Come Get Some) - I always […]
Show full quote

Is there a good guide for DN3d levels?
Because when I try to play this *censored* game (version 1.3d, Come Get Some) - I always have 59 enemies killed and 2 missed in E1M1, "Hollywood Holocaust". And this thing make me mad!!! 🙁
P.S. Wikia think there are 58 enemies on this level. Yeah, right...

You're probably missing 2 turrets on the alley outside the cinema back exit. You'll have to use the jetpack to go all the way up to reach them.

Reply 9 of 39, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

You're probably missing 2 turrets on the alley outside the cinema back exit. You'll have to use the jetpack to go all the way up to reach them.

You are my savior!
Tnx.
61 enemies, 0 enemies missed.
Come Get Some! 😀

Reply 12 of 39, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^or a Banshee/voodoo3, or a riva, or a geforce...

Defintely NOT a Rendition Verite or any ISA vga card! :p

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 14 of 39, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, P4 3.2E (Prescott), ATi Radeon HD2600 Pro, WinXpSp3, the motherboard is P4P800SE. 60+ FPS in 1024x768, 40+ FPS in 1280x1024 for DN3d 1.3d. The value is from the standard DNRATE.
DN3d is started with NOLFB and the sound device is native P4P800SE SBPro 2.0+GM emulation.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2014-08-17, 14:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 39, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:

What is the "ScreenMode" setting used for? It appears just before ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight in the CFG file.

It's used for chip optimized modes, however you'll be stuck at 320x200 mode in all of them, except for number 1, which is VESA 2.0.

Reply 17 of 39, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:

^or a Banshee/voodoo3, or a riva, or a geforce...

Defintely NOT a Rendition Verite or any ISA vga card! :p

Rendition Verite is only slow in Mode X/Y (eg. Doom). It is quite capable in VESA modes, AGP of course being faster than PCI.
Important: Use fastvid or a similar tool!

Reply 18 of 39, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:

Rendition Verite is only slow in Mode X/Y (eg. Doom). It is quite capable in VESA modes,

I've read something like this before, but I'd like to see it quantified. In other words compared to Banshee/V3 etc (or even an S3 Trio). Any DN3D SVGA/XGA/SXGA/UXGA benchmark out there? I couldn't find one.. OTOH, almost too many quake benches! 😀

No Tualatin, but I find this though: http://gona.mactar.hu/v1000/
~20fps at XGA, not there yet.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 19 of 39, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're looking for 2D performance, search for a S3 Virge GX2, which can be found on AGP. The Virge chips only have awful 3D performance, but have great compatibility in both modes. Riva TNT cards have issues in some DOS games, like Terminal Velocity.