VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 1ce2go

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I was wondering if there was a place on this forum where one could find a list of processor benchmarks , perhaps with Norton SI or equivalent, with cache disabled?
It would be helpful to someone like me, trying to build a dos machine to relive my youth after so many years.

- Sean

Reply 1 of 10, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What kind of system are you considering?:

Without caches:
Socket 3 486: Slow, depends a lot on the CPU and FSB used, many options...
Socket 5 Pentiums and such: Depends on the FSB options. Talk to Vetz 😉
Socket 7 Pentium MMX, 6x86L, K6 and such: 486-like speeds.
Socket 370/Slot-1 Pentium II/III: 386-like speeds.
Socket 370 VIA C3 Nehemiah: 386 to 486DX-40 speeds (use Setmul).
AMD Athlon and Pentium 4: 486-like speeds.

Without caches one cannot use Sound Blaster emulation on a PCI based soundcard: ISA slot required!

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 10, by 1ce2go

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well like most things I do in life I have just jumped in and Ill see how it goes. I bought a Pentium 100 machine (without monitor) for about a $5 and and dual PII for about $12. Also won a box full of cards along with a 386 sx board for about $2. Sadly, the board doesn't seem to work. The other cards probably do, have only tested the ISA video card and it works. The Pentium works and is immaculate, the PII suddenly started working after two weeks of non stop fiddling and jumper changing etc. I had actually promised myself to give it one last try (for the tenth time), when it suddenly powered up, I still cant say why it decided to work when it did.
I don't have a keyboard to fit the Pentium yet, but I bought the little converter on Ebay. Getting dos onto the SCSI of the PII without a cdrom, usb or any disks was a major headache, but I finanny managed today...have a major headache after 4 days of fiddling with drives to get it working. I've just played my first game of Bubble Bobble in 21 years, and that makes it all worth while 😀

Reply 3 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awwww just saw this thread...

I covered this in a bunch of my videos. But I got so many and haven't put these onto my site for easy access yet so they are all over the place:

Goal: One PC does it all: http://youtu.be/gzxnB2CD6aw

That Pentium is already excellent for your plans 😀

For CD-ROM, memory and mouse drivers + boot menu check out my guide:

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/cd-rom-mouse- … t-up-files.html

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am searching for the best Dos-Gaming-Machine for al long time.
Actually I use an K6-III+@FSB66 (133-400Mhz) and deactivate Cpucache (batch) if it runs to fast.

This machine can be used for Dos and for Win95 (3dfx), but not all Dostitles run optimal with this machine.
There are some e.g. Wing-Commander1 that run way to fast.

If I cut this one machine into two, the perhaps I would choose an early Pentium oder 486 with a "turbo-Button"
in order to get a big range of performance-compatibility. On the other hand I will go for a PIII>500 for the 3dfx-gaming.

I did not made the decission yet.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 7 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:

This machine can be used for Dos and for Win95 (3dfx), but not all Dostitles run optimal with this machine.
There are some e.g. Wing-Commander1 that run way to fast.

Wing Commander, is this with L1 AND L2 cache disabled? It should run pretty much perfect to be honest.

What graphics card are you using? Using an ISA card can also act as a brake but isn't ideal if you want to run faster games.

I've done a detailed FSB / Multiplier / Cache review of this CPU here: http://youtu.be/2rPhi9-ILHw?t=6m30s

With L1 and L2 disabled I got a 3dbench score of around 11 which is perfect for Wing Commander. Almost a bit too slow.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i hate solvings that are "not on-the-fly" so I only use "cpucache.com" an fsb66 with multi 2.
deactivating L1 and L2 needs a reboot and Bios-change, and another reboot for activating both.

I think it is better to go for an other machine with a better concept...

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 9 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:

I think it is better to go for an other machine with a better concept...

That's just being lazy 🤣 A reboot takes like less than a minute.

As for a machine with a better concept: I don't think there is one. Well, DOSBox maybe.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 10, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wouldn't setmul allow you to change the multiplier, L1 and L2 caches without a reboot on a K6-2+/K6-3+? Pretty sure I can do that.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE