VOGONS

Common searches

The Need for Speed

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is actually about running an old game on an old computer, but I'm hoping someone will be able to help.

I have a SoundBlaster 16 card which works fine with most games but when I try to play TNFS I get nothing. I am using the SB16 switch but it still doesn't work. Do I need some kind of settings in my autoexec.bat in order for this game to recognize my card? Also does anyone happen to know all of the command line switches for TNFS.EXE? I only have the game CD, with no documentation.

Thanks

Reply 2 of 10, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it's working very well under Virtual PC on my good computer but I wanted to try it out on an old Pentium 75 machine that was recently given to me. The game itself runs fine but there is no sound. I was just wondering if there was something I'm not doing right. It is running MS-DOS 6.22, and the SB16 is an ISA non-pnp version.

Reply 4 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Banquo wrote:

Yes, it's working very well under Virtual PC on my good computer but I wanted to try it out on an old Pentium 75 machine that was recently given to me. The game itself runs fine but there is no sound. I was just wondering if there was something I'm not doing right. It is running MS-DOS 6.22, and the SB16 is an ISA non-pnp version.

FYI: Old sys-reqs for TNFS:

Operating System: MS-DOS 5.0+ or Windows 95/98
CPU Type & Speed: 75 MHz Pentium class processor or compatible
Hard Drive Space: 50MB free space
Memory: 8MB Ram (DOS) 12MB Ram (Win95/98)
CD-Rom Speed: 4x CD-ROM drive

Surfed the net looking for command-line switches for it, and there _is_ one related to audio:
"TNFS.EXE [SOUNDCARDID] (example AWE)"

so TNFS.EXE AWE would run it on a SB AWE 32.
It'll take more looking into. Maybe TNFS.EXE SB16?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 10, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed NASCAR Racing 1 and it found the card right away. Monkey Island also detected it with no troulbe. As for NFS I tried several switches including SB16 but none of them seem to make any difference. No big deal though, I was just playing around with it.

Thanks for the suggestions 😀

Reply 9 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, well, Banquo was talking about getting it running on an old Pentium system. But this might have some bearing on whether or not he'd play the game using Virtual PC... I'm not sure why he'd do that, if it would work under Windows XP with VDMS. Still..

And yes, of course removing nosound and putting AWE helped.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto