VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i was wondering whether anyone knew anything about the different versions of this game.

The original DOS disc version of the game appeared to have static screens in between certain areas, such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICukEMx3ucw&fe … etailpage#t=140

However, i read that the Deluxe, cd version had cutscenes between content and extra rooms etc.

The only place i can find what i assume are these extra things are in videos of the CD-i version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO5jUlp00fE

See particularly the intro at 1:00, end game animation at 14:23 and also various "room change" cutscenes at 2:23, 4:23 and 6:55. (The 4:23 one corresponds to the static image seen above in the disc version).

I also read that the CD version wasn't that much bigger than the disc version and so i would assume that the animated cutscenes for the intro and outro probably were not included (unless they were in some weird video format that was streamed off the disc and not viewed as "data" ?).

That said, I would have imagined the inbetween rooms cutscenes would have been included in the later PC CD-Rom version.

The thing is, all videos that I can find of the PC version don't appear to have these cutscenes.
They mainly seem to be of the re-release on GOG / Steam. I'm not sure which version this is.

In videos of these versions, the game just seems to skip between rooms without even showing the static images of the disc version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_d … eqGmycr70Q#t=69

So, what i'm wondering is, is there a problem with the Dosbox emulation for cd drives where the CD version is not being played correctly and the cutscenes between rooms / levels are "skipped"?
Or is the GOG / Steam version actually the disc version and not the CD version (if so why is the static image graphic absent).

It's all a bit confusing as I can't find much information about this game.
At the moment it is looking like the CD-i version is superior but from my assumptions i would have imagined that the later CD version for DOS would have also included these extras, since both were later than the Amiga CD32 and PC Dos disc versions.

If this isn't the case, then i am really confused as the disc and cd versions i have seen so far look practically identical.
I guess it would be interesting if someone had a normal "hard" cd copy of this game and and old dos pc or someone that remembers it from "back in the day" could let me know.

(TLDR: What's the difference between the disc and cd dos versions of this game and does the cd version have the same "extras" the CD-i version has that it is reported to have?

Also, which versions allow you to turn the camera around?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have the floppy version, only cd (both original and Zoo Digital re-release). So - can't test for differencies.
About "camera around" - IIRC all DOS versions don't have this feature (damn you, lazy developers).

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 7, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply!

Ah cool maybe you can still help.

Do you have the cutscenes listed in the second video?

The only place i can find what i assume are these extra things are in videos of the CD-i version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v […]
Show full quote

The only place i can find what i assume are these extra things are in videos of the CD-i version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO5jUlp00fE

See particularly the intro at 1:00, end game animation at 14:23 and also various "room change" cutscenes at 2:23, 4:23 and 6:55. (The 4:23 one corresponds to the static image seen above in the disc version).

I also read that the CD version wasn't that much bigger than the disc version and so i would assume that the animated cutscenes for the intro and outro probably were not included (unless they were in some weird video format that was streamed off the disc and not viewed as "data" ?).

Not sure if they may not work in dosbox and require an actual pc due to emulation issues or if they are not there at all even in the cd version.

Thanks 😀

Reply 4 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, no scenes.
I attached .svf file for my Litil Divil cd.

Attachments

• Filename
    DIVIL.7z
    File size
    4.33 KiB
    Downloads
    70 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also have the CD version, no cutscene videos AFAIR ... the CDI version really looks better

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 7, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for checking! 😀

Wow i wonder why they didn't put that stuff in the DOS CD version. I had assumed it was a Dosbox error :$
Still, it's nice to know. Not that anyone will be able to play the CD-I version very easily as emulation for it isn't so good haha.

Thanks for your help!

Reply 7 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
notindeed wrote:

i read that the Deluxe, cd version had cutscenes between content and extra rooms etc.

It seems you read this in Litil Divil's trivia at MobyGames. Trivia items are not platform-specific, and the platform is not mentioned, but it may refer to DOS. Perhaps you can contact this Roger Wilco person through the email address on his/her MobyGames account for clarification.