VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i'm trying to run GTA1 in 3dfx mode, which is only available under dos using the gtafx.exe

The problem is, when i try to run the does versions, the game cannot find the cd for some reason and so won't let me play. It is in the D: drive. Does the drive need to be a specific name for it to work with dos applications?

I got the sound working by telling it to run with vdmsound however.

Just so you know, i am using windows xp, sp3.
Any ideas?

I can't really use dosbox as my pc is probably too slow to handle it (can't really manage ultima underwold at a proper speed 🙁 ) so i would prefer the least amount of emulation possible - dosbox is a bit overkill.
Also i have no idea how to get dosbox to use nglide or any other glide wrapper anyway.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jeez, it has been so long that I don't remember exactly where, but VDMS Launchpad had a checkbox to emulate low level access to the CD-ROM drive. If you are using the Launchpad, just look through the settings. Given that this is really more of a VDMS issue, perhaps it should be moved to the VDMS forum.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 13, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS glide games can't initialize properly in WinXp NTVDM. You must use the DOS/Win9x environment. Or you can use something to translate glide2x.ovl calls to glide2x.dll. DOSBox or Glidos do the trick.
So - your attempts are hopeless.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here it is.

Attachments

• VLPProperties.png
    Filename
    VLPProperties.png
    File size
    39.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 13, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

Here it is.

Oh, okay, that's just normal MSCDEX (under Windows XP) then.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 13, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, i tried that option and sadly it didn't work.

I also tried doing removing that checkbox option and instead adding SAPUCDEX to the autoexec option as listed here but it didn't help either:
http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/Emulators … d/SAPUCDEX.html

However it seems that SAPUCDEX is a program in itself - so maybe i need to download it? Or is it included in VDMsound?

Update:
So i found SAPUCDEX here: SAPUCDEX by SaPu
It wouldn't work if i put it in the game directory, but putting it in the VDMSound directory worked.
(However i then get other issues - even gta24 gives the issues that no SVGA modes are working (probabably similar issue to system shock where it would work on my 9600 pro fine but requires dgvesa on my x1950 and i can't remember how to configure that atm haha) - but at least the CD issue is solved!)

So, alternatively, how can i get nglide to work with dosbox (or a different glide wrapper). Or can dgvoodoo be used without dosbox?

Thanks! 😀

Reply 8 of 13, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
notindeed wrote:

how can i get nglide to work with dosbox (or a different glide wrapper).

Install the DOSBox with Gulikoza patch. As the example - this version. Set [glide]/glide="true".
Delete glide2x.dll/glide2x_64.dll from the DOSBox directory.
Install nGlide/other glide wrapper.
Run a glide game in DOSBox.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 10 of 13, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks that works!

However there are some issues with it:

When the cd audio track is changing or starting / stopping within game (getting in / out of a car etc) then the game freezes!.

Also i cannot alt-tab or exit fullscreen and other windows also periodically flicker through the screen.

Thanks!