VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by samgallo@gfusa.net

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DosBox works great,,,about 95% there. NewViews is an accounting software that uses the FKeys. Trouble is that when using it in DosBox the windows FKeys are superior and will not let the DosBox FKeys work. NewViews uses a KeyLogger for its FKeys so using the DosBox key logger isn't going to work. Illustration, F4 in NewViews is /de. Is there a way that DosBox can disable Windows FKeys while DosBox is working?

Reply 1 of 2, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm, normally the F-keys are not hogged by Windows. What happens when you press F4?

Could it be that you have set (or your keyboard defaults to) the F-keys to multimedia functions and the like? Then you should have a Fn key to use with the F-keys to get the F function. Or you reverse this in some keyboard setting so F function is default and to use the multimedia functions you need to press fn key as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 2, by Quadko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Brainstorming:

NewViews uses a KeyLogger for its FKeys so using the DosBox key logger

* I'm not sure what this means. Anything inside dosbox should be able to use the dosbox key mapper (Ctrl-F1), I think. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

* Does the program use the unmodified Fkeys (just F1, F4) or does it require <shift> <alt> <ctrl> along with the F Keys?

* And, I've had some problems with some "special" keyboards and laptops that treat the FKeys differently from standard keyboards - they have to go into a special mode to use them. Any chance it's just the keyboard and not Dosbox or your program causing the trouble?